New Lanvin chief executive Jean-Philippe Hecquet has admitted that the road to success may be bumpy.
Hecquet officially begins his duties on Tuesday (28Aug18), though has a tough task ahead of him as the luxury label is currently without a womenswear designer.
Since the departure of long-serving creative director Alber Elbaz in 2015, there has been a revolving door of head designers at Lanvin, with Lucas Ossendrijver, Bouchra Jarrar, and, most recently, Olivier Lapidus, among those to have come and gone.
“Clearly our objective and our goals are very ambitious, and the road may be a bit bumpy,” Hecquet told Business of Fashion. “It’s never easy to bring back to life a luxury brand… I don’t take it as an easy project.”
Names currently floated as potential successors include former Berluti designer Haider Ackermann and Simon Porte Jacquemus, but a selection has yet to be made.
“The number one priority is, of course, to bring back the creativity,” he continued, adding that the company is “looking at a lot of talent”.
Elbaz, who himself is making a slow return to fashion, was pushed out by former label owner, Taiwanese businesswoman Shaw-Lan Wang.
Lanvin has since changed hands, after Chinese conglomerate Fosun acquired a majority stake in the French brand in February. Former Louis Vuitton employee Hecquet is now looking to re-establish the once-loved fashion house.
“The life at Lanvin was not easy over the last year,” Hecquet said. “My role and the role of the executive committee will really be to bring back the confidence, to bring back the positive vibes.”
© Cover Media