Herve Leger taps new creative director

Herve Leger has hired a new creative director.Founded in 1985 by designer Herve Peugnet, the French fashion house won acclaim in the 1990s for its striking bandage dresses, with celebrity fans including Gisele Bundchen, Beyonce and Victoria Beckham.Whi…

Herve Leger has hired a new creative director.

Founded in 1985 by designer Herve Peugnet, the French fashion house won acclaim in the 1990s for its striking bandage dresses, with celebrity fans including Gisele Bundchen, Beyonce and Victoria Beckham.

While the Herve Leger brand has experienced a lot of upheaval in recent years, fashion publication WWD reports that Christian Juul Nielsen has now been named as the company’s latest design director.

Little is known about Nielsen, but according to his LinkedIn page, he previously worked at Christian Dior, Oscar de la Renta and J. Mendel in senior creative roles.

In addition, he has acted as creative director of contemporary womenswear label Land of Distraction since November 2016. Launched by Danita Short, the label’s main inspirations include rock ‘n’ roll, motorcycle culture and the style of the 1970s, with it believed that Nielsen will continue in his role at the business.

“It is understood that he will continue at the start-up brand while bringing a shot of energy to the Herve Leger brand,” editors at WWD report, adding that they anticipate he will unveil his first collection during New York Fashion Week next month.

Ownership of the Herve Leger label has changed hands numerous times since its inception. Designer Peugnet, also known as Herve L. Leroux, lost control of the company and commercial use of the name when it was purchased by the BCBG Max Azria group in 1998.

It remained within the BCBG Max Azria portfolio until executives from that company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in early 2017, with Herve Leger first sold to Marquee Brands, and then to Authentic Brands Group.

Peugnet died at the age of 60 last October.

© Cover Media

Alec Baldwin exits Joker movie

Alec Baldwin has dropped out of Todd Phillips’ upcoming Joker movie.On Monday (27Aug18), it was reported that the 30 Rock actor had signed on to play Gotham City philanthropist Thomas Wayne, the father of Bruce Wayne/Batman, in Warner Bros.’ project. B…

Alec Baldwin has dropped out of Todd Phillips’ upcoming Joker movie.

On Monday (27Aug18), it was reported that the 30 Rock actor had signed on to play Gotham City philanthropist Thomas Wayne, the father of Bruce Wayne/Batman, in Warner Bros.’ project.

But on Wednesday, Baldwin shut down the casting news and told reporters at USA Today that he wouldn’t be involved in the flick.

“I’m sure there are 25 guys who can play that part,” he said, going on to cite “scheduling” issues as part of the reason for his departure.

In addition, he later took to Twitter to emphasise that he was not involved and rejected a claim by editors at The Hollywood Reporter who stated that Baldwin’s Wayne was to be a “cheesy and tanned businessman who is more in the mould of a 1980s Donald Trump”.

“Let me state, for the record, that I have NOT been hired to play a role in Todd Phillips’ JOKER as some Donald Trump manque. That is not happening. Not. Happening,” the 60-year-old, who has previously received worldwide attention for his portrayal of U.S. President Donald Trump on sketch series Saturday Night Live, wrote on the social media site.

At present, little is known about the plot for the Joker film, though it is believed to centre on how the popular comic book villain came to be. Joaquin Phoenix has been cast in the part of the Joker, while Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, Frances Conroy and Marc Maron have all been attached to the film in unknown roles.

Production on the superhero flick is scheduled to begin on 10 September, while studio executives have slated 4 October 2019 as the U.S. release date.

© Cover Media

Peter Dinklage addresses My Dinner with Herve whitewashing claims

Peter Dinklage has hit back at claims that his new film My Dinner with Herve has whitewashed Herve Villechaize.The Game of Thrones star portrays the Fantasy Island actor in an upcoming HBO movie, while Jamie Dornan plays a journalist who interviewed Vi…

Peter Dinklage has hit back at claims that his new film My Dinner with Herve has whitewashed Herve Villechaize.

The Game of Thrones star portrays the Fantasy Island actor in an upcoming HBO movie, while Jamie Dornan plays a journalist who interviewed Villechaize shortly before he committed suicide at the age of 50 in 1993.

However, there has been some criticism over Dinklage’s casting after a reporter recently alleged that Villechaize had Filipino heritage. But, contrary to popular belief, the Emmy Award winner has insisted this was not the case.

“Herve wasn’t Filipino,” Dinklage explained in an interview with Entertainment Weekly. “Dwarfism manifests physically in many different ways. I have a very different type of dwarfism than Herve had. I’ve met his brother and other members of his family. He was French, and of German and English descent.”

He added that while those who accuse the film of whitewashing “think they’re doing the right thing politically and morally,” in reality, they are “judging and assuming what he is ethnically” based on his looks alone.

Editors at IndieWire have reported that HBO president Casey Bloys also rejected the allegation, agreeing that Villechaize’s brother confirmed that they were not Filipino.

And while he had considered the issue of race, the executive asserted that it was Dinklage’s “passion project” to dramatise Villechaize’s life.

“I don’t think anyone like him has really been humanised like that (onscreen) before… having gone through this experience of acting in Hollywood (and how it) takes a toll,” he said at the Television Critics Association press tour.

Villechaize achieved worldwide recognition for various roles, including his portrayal of evil henchman Nick Nack in the 1974 James Bond film, The Man with the Golden Gun.

My Dinner with Herve, which Dinklage is also producing, is scheduled for release in the U.S. on 20 October (18).

© Cover Media

Bradley Cooper wiped Lady Gaga’s make-up off for movie audition

Bradley Cooper helped Lady Gaga nail her audition for his film A Star is Born by removing her make-up. The Guardians of the Galaxy star wanted the Born This Way hitmaker to be “completely open” during her screen test and then helped her get into chara…

Bradley Cooper helped Lady Gaga nail her audition for his film A Star is Born by removing her make-up.

The Guardians of the Galaxy star wanted the Born This Way hitmaker to be “completely open” during her screen test and then helped her get into character by stripping down her look.

“It put me right in the place I needed to be, because when my character talks about how ugly she feels – that was real,” she tells the Los Angeles Times. “I’m so insecure. I like to preach, but I don’t always practice what I preach.”

After landing the role, Gaga had to leave her stage persona in her trailer to play down-and-out singer Ally in Bradley’s new adaptation of the classic film.

“The truth is, when we meet Ally, she’s given up on herself,” she says. “And that’s very different from me. I just wasn’t overwhelmed by the odds. The truth is, if we were not sitting here today and I hadn’t sold as many records as I have, I’d still be in a bar somewhere playing the piano and singing. It’s just who I want to be.”

Gaga, real name Stefani Germanotta, prepared for the film role for months and took acting lessons with drama teacher Susan Batson to hone her craft, but she struggled on the first day of filming after Bradley recited an unscripted line to try to help her relax, which prompted her to recite one of her own lines repeatedly.

“Finally, he said, ‘Are you OK?’ And then I started crying,” she continues. “Then I got that out of the way and then we did the scene. I had to let go of the words.”

“Her learning curve was insane, just from the first day to the second day,” Cooper adds. “Everybody already knows that she’s got a God-given talent as a singer, and she was able to utilise that plutonium to act. If this is something she wants to pursue, I will just have been lucky to have been part of her story as an actress.”

© Cover Media

Olivia Colman: ‘Movie sex with Emma Stone was awfully fun’

Actress Olivia Colman thoroughly enjoyed her lesbian movie romp with Emma Stone in period drama The Favourite. The Murder on the Orient Express star portrays real-life British royal Queen Anne in the new film, which is set in the 18th century and chro…

Actress Olivia Colman thoroughly enjoyed her lesbian movie romp with Emma Stone in period drama The Favourite.

The Murder on the Orient Express star portrays real-life British royal Queen Anne in the new film, which is set in the 18th century and chronicles her close relationships and rumoured lesbian affairs with Lady Sarah Churchill and her cousin, Abigail Masham, who develop a bitter rivalry as they compete to become the monarch’s closest confidante.

Emma plays Masham, opposite Rachel Weisz as Churchill, and Olivia admits the shoot was particularly memorable for the intimate scenes she shared with the La La Land actress.

“It was awfully fun having sex with Emma Stone,” she smirked during a cast press conference at the Venice International Film Festival on Thursday (30Aug18), ahead of the movie’s premiere.

“It was really fun having sex with you too,” replied Emma, before making it clear the steamy scenes weren’t for real, adding, “We didn’t really!”

Aside from the love scenes, Colman explained the role was a “joy” to tackle “because she sort of feels everything”.

“She’s just a woman who is underconfident (sic) and doesn’t know if anyone genuinely loves her,” the Brit mused. “She has too much power, too much time on her hands.”

The Favourite, which also co-stars Nicholas Hoult, Joe Alwyn, and Mark Gatiss, is Colman’s second project with director Yorgos Lanthimos, after previously working together on the critically-acclaimed The Lobster in 2015.

It screened in competition for the festival’s prestigious Golden Lion award.

© Cover Media

Jennifer Garner learned mixed martial arts skills for Peppermint

Jennifer Garner got back into action mode for her new movie Peppermint by taking up mixed martial arts. The Dallas Buyers Club star plays a woman seeking revenge after her husband and daughter are killed in a drive-by shooting right in front of her an…

Jennifer Garner got back into action mode for her new movie Peppermint by taking up mixed martial arts.

The Dallas Buyers Club star plays a woman seeking revenge after her husband and daughter are killed in a drive-by shooting right in front of her and she explains her physical training helped her connect to the character.

“I’ve been training for a while on this,” she tells People magazine. “I did (mixed martial arts) MMA skills, gun skills, knife skills. It was the connection to the physical that made me kind of understand her fight for her daughter.”

“She (Garner) was very physical, she was very fit – even before we started training,” director Pierre Morel adds. “She was dead-on, ready to go for it. The fact that everything is done by the actor is key.”

Jennifer, who has starred in action-packed roles in Alias and Daredevil, was “excited” to take on Peppermint after reading the script because it was “an original story and there’s a strong woman at the middle”. She was hooked by the way her character reacted to losing her family.

“She just shuts down her heart, goes into hiding and spends the next five years becoming a machine,” she says. “She immediately takes matters into her own hands to make sure those people are brought to justice.

“The fact that she just says, ‘I’m a mom, I’m taking care of this and I’m going to do what I need to do’… that, I’m inspired by. I’ve never gotten the chance to play that kind of visceral need to defend, or protect, or take care of someone in your family.”

© Cover Media