Kim Kardashian and Coty sign $200 million beauty deal

Coty executives are set to acquire a 20 per cent stake in Kim Kardashian’s beauty line. Executives at the U.S. beauty giant, which also owns brands such as Clairol, Max Factor, OPI, Rimmel, and Wella, announced on Monday that they have signed a deal t…

Coty executives are set to acquire a 20 per cent stake in Kim Kardashian’s beauty line.

Executives at the U.S. beauty giant, which also owns brands such as Clairol, Max Factor, OPI, Rimmel, and Wella, announced on Monday that they have signed a deal to develop Kim’s KKW Beauty business globally. As part of the agreement, both parties will focus on “entering new beauty categories and global expansion beyond her existing product lines”.

“Partnering with an established organization like Coty will be instrumental in the advancement of my brands as their global reach allows for faster expansion so people around the world are able to experience new launches first hand,” said Kim in a statement. “This relationship will allow me to focus on the creative elements that I’m so passionate about while benefiting from the incredible resources of Coty, and launching my products around the world.”

As part of the deal, Coty will acquire a 20 per cent ownership interest in the beauty business for $200 million (£162 million). Coty will have overall responsibility for the portfolio’s development in skincare, haircare, personal care and nail products, while Kim and her team will lead creative efforts in terms of product and communications initiatives.

“Kim is a true modern day global icon. She is a visionary, an entrepreneur, a mother, a philanthropist, and through social media has an unparalleled ability to connect with people around the world”, added Peter Harf, Coty Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “This influence, combined with Coty’s leadership and deep expertise in prestige beauty will allow us to achieve the full potential of her brands.”

The deal between Coty and Kim, who launched KKW Beauty in 2017, was rumoured earlier this month. It comes months after Coty acquired a 51 per cent stake in Kim’s half-sister Kylie Jenner’s beauty brands.

© Cover Media

Amanda Seales honoured Black designers while hosting BET Awards

BET Awards host Amanda Seales represented the work of Black fashion innovators with her looks on the night.The annual prizegiving, established in 2001 by the Black Entertainment Television network, took place virtually on Sunday, with the live event ca…

BET Awards host Amanda Seales represented the work of Black fashion innovators with her looks on the night.

The annual prizegiving, established in 2001 by the Black Entertainment Television network, took place virtually on Sunday, with the live event cancelled due to Covid-19. Lizzo, Beyonce, and Megan Thee Stallion were among the winners, and while the 2020 awards show was forced to take place online, the stars still donned their finest outfits for the ceremony.

“We wanted to tell a story of Black creativity, pay homage to iconic moments of Black style, and amplify the work of these Black fashion innovators,” comedian Amanda shared, reports WWD.

The 38-year-old wowed in an off-shoulder, high-slit gown from Claude Kameni’s Lavie by CK label, which was inspired, in part, by 1988 film Coming to America. Other looks came from Pyer Moss and Dapper Dan for Gucci and were nods to the clothes worn by actress Karyn Parsons in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation look.

Amanda also used only Black-designed jewellery, haircare, and make-up brands.

“The BETs are our Oscars, our Grammys, our everything, where we are able to show ourselves and have fun and show off,” said her stylist Bryon Javar. “It made sense for this moment to celebrate Black everything.”

Designer Claude, who will have some of her clothing appear in the hotly-anticipated Coming 2 America, due out in December, spoke about her hopes for Black designers when awards ceremonies resume after the pandemic.

“I really hope, as other awards shows start to come back, we will see more Black designers represented – not just when it’s convenient,” she said.

© Cover Media

Ariana Grande throws Midsommar-themed birthday party

Ariana Grande celebrated her 27th birthday with a party inspired by the horror film Midsommar.The 7 Rings hitmaker enjoyed an intimate bash hosted by her new boyfriend, Dalton Gomez, along with her close friends Doug Middlebrook and Diane Herrera.Celeb…

Ariana Grande celebrated her 27th birthday with a party inspired by the horror film Midsommar.

The 7 Rings hitmaker enjoyed an intimate bash hosted by her new boyfriend, Dalton Gomez, along with her close friends Doug Middlebrook and Diane Herrera.

Celebrity stylist Mimi Cuttrell helped create a look worthy of a May Queen, as Ariana rocked a knitted crop top by Beginning Boutique for the party, as well as a Danielle Guizio white silk satin skirt.

She finished the look with a large floral crown in honour of Florence Pugh’s character in the movie, who wore a huge floral hairpiece and was named a May Queen by a Swedish cult’ as her boyfriend was burnt alive in a midsummer ceremony.

The Grammy winner’s boyfriend also helped deck out Ariana’s house with floral decorations, and each of the guests, including her mother Joan Grande, wore a flower crown.

The Sweetener singer shared snaps from the bash on Instagram Stories, featuring pictures captured by photographer Alfredo Flores.

She also wore a flower cape that matched her custom flower eyelashes, which were applied by make-up artist Michael Anthony.

And the party won the approval of Florence herself, who commented on one of Ariana’s photos on Instagram.

“Happy birthday sweetheart. You can have the Mayqueen title today,” the Oscar-nominated actress commented.

“I love uuuuuuu sm (so much) !!!!! honored,” the singer replied.

© Cover Media

Lizzo is latest star to go vegan

Lizzo is following in the footsteps of Pamela Anderson, Erykah Badu, and Miley Cyrus by adopting a vegan diet.Weeks after calling out fat-shamers by revealing she regularly works out, Lizzo has now shared she’s overhauled her eating habits and has turn…

Lizzo is following in the footsteps of Pamela Anderson, Erykah Badu, and Miley Cyrus by adopting a vegan diet.

Weeks after calling out fat-shamers by revealing she regularly works out, Lizzo has now shared she’s overhauled her eating habits and has turned to a plant-based food plan.

Sharing the news on TikTok, the singer walked fans through a typical day in her new diet.

“As a new vegan, I’m enjoying exploring flavours from plants & plant-based proteins! Every journey is personal & deserves to be celebrated,” she exclaimed.

Starting her “average” day with a green smoothie made with coconut water, kale or spinach, and some frozen fruit, she will then usually have a salad for lunch made up of kale, red cabbage, broccoli, avocado, white onions, and carrots.

For dinner, her go-to is protein-packed meals like a truffle, chickpea, and mushroom mixture with quinoa and leftover salad.

And snacks and desserts are still on the menu – she makes “peanut butter and jelly” smoothies, using peanut butter, frozen strawberries, protein powder, oats, and oat milk, while Lesser Evil Paleo Puffs have become her Cheeto-alternative.

“I used to eat a lot of hot Cheetos, but that wasn’t good for my acid-reflux,” she admitted. “These are Cheeto-alternative. I love that’s vegan and I dip them in hummus.”

The vegan news comes hot on the heels of Lizzo calling out the people that criticise her shape.

“I’ve been working out consistently for the last five years,” the Truth Hurts star hit back on TikTok. “And it may come as a surprise to y’all that I’m not working out to have your ideal body type.

“I’m working out to have my ideal body type. And you know what type that is? None of your f**king business, because I am beautiful, I am strong, I do my job, and I stay on my job.”

© Cover Media

Adwoa Aboah refuses to stay silent on stigmatised issues

Adwoa Aboah refuses to “stay silent” because she feels “obligated” to share her personal story with others.The model-and-activist has spoken openly about her experiences through her online organisation Gurls Talk and launched the digital initia…

Adwoa Aboah refuses to “stay silent” because she feels “obligated” to share her personal story with others.

The model-and-activist has spoken openly about her experiences through her online organisation Gurls Talk and launched the digital initiative #CopingTogether last month.

Adwoa, who has worked closely with fashion houses such as Chanel, Dior and Marc Jacobs, hopes the current Black Lives Matter movement will be just the start of change around the world.

“It’s become quite natural to me to speak my truth and talk about subjects that are stigmatised or people find to be taboo,” Adwoa said in an interview with Essence. “I’m not staying silent in general, whether it be talking about mental health or my own story, because I really, truly feel obligated to do it.”

The model hopes #CopingTogether will inspire people to openly discuss what is going on globally at the moment and bring about change for the better.

“I feel ready to make the changes and be part of this new normality. I don’t want to go back to the way it was – in any sense of the word,” she explained.

While Adwoa feels passionately about how she wants to live her life in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic and the Black Lives Matter movement, she admits to having doubts and insecurities during these challenging times.

“I switch back and forth from me being in quite a negative head space and feeling like I’m not sure what the next steps are,” the model shared when asked how it feels to be a Black creative at the moment, “and knowing what I want and the changes that I want to see made, but feeling quite overwhelmed by the process and the steps that need to be taken for that to happen…

“(The pandemic) has made me look at how you want to live each day. Not that this is kind of a surprise with the revolution and what’s happening, this was part of our daily lives and we were completely aware of it.”

© Cover Media

Valentino to stage live couture show in Rome

Valentino will stage its first live couture show since the coronavirus lockdown in Rome.Creative director Pierpaolo Piccioli announced he will be staging a presentation at Cinecitta Studios on 21 July, with only Italian-based fashion reviewers in the a…

Valentino will stage its first live couture show since the coronavirus lockdown in Rome.

Creative director Pierpaolo Piccioli announced he will be staging a presentation at Cinecitta Studios on 21 July, with only Italian-based fashion reviewers in the audience.

The event, held at one of Europe’s largest film studios, will be be conducted in “respect of the current situation, following all necessary safety measures” amid the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.

According to a statement from the Italian fashion house, Piccioli had a plan to merge the human and digital worlds before the global health crisis.

“The limits that we are living need to be transcended through grace and lightness,” he added, noting that the show will be broadcast online.

And fashion photographer and filmmaker Nick Knight has been hired to enable the creative director to “amplify human haute couture values through an idea where the maison mastery will be highlighted by the digital side”.

A spokesperson for Valentino stressed that a live performance is needed to fully express the “creativity, imagination and emotion” of couture.

“(It) will bring together the human and the digital touch, creating a dialogue where neither of them will take the lead,” the statement explained.

Piccioli also announced that he will premiere his inspiration behind his upcoming fall collection during a virtual presentation for the first-ever digital Paris Couture Fashion Week on 8 July.

© Cover Media

Don O’Neill steps away from THEIA label

Don O’Neill is no longer the creative director of THEIA. The Irish fashion designer launched the New York-based eveningwear and bridal label in 2009 and some of his creations became famous for being worn by the likes of Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Opra…

Don O’Neill is no longer the creative director of THEIA.

The Irish fashion designer launched the New York-based eveningwear and bridal label in 2009 and some of his creations became famous for being worn by the likes of Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Oprah Winfrey, Taylor Swift, and Khloe Kardashian.

Over the weekend, O’Neill took to Instagram to reveal that THEIA was being restructured as a result of the coronavirus pandemic and he would subsequently no longer serve as creative director.

“All of our lives have been greatly impacted by the global pandemic of Covid-19, and It is with a heavy heart that I announce, THEIA is being re-structured and I, and many others will no longer be part of it,” he wrote.

“I created the brand from a flash of inspiration when THEIA, The goddess of light sparked in my mind 11 years ago. It has been an extraordinary journey… I set forth to design luxurious evening and bridal dresses, that would be cut and shaped to flatter all women, so that they would feel beautiful and confident, allowing their inner light to shine brightly, which I achieved with the love, support and guidance of so many many amazing people.”

The 54-year-old concluded his post by insisting he was remaining positive about the “new exciting chapter” in his life and revealing he was in the process of writing a memoir.

“During the lock down I began writing a book on my life story, it has been quite the journey so far and I look forward to seeing how the story continues,” he teased.

© Cover Media

Tommy Hilfiger teams up with A Bathing Ape for capsule collection

Tommy Hilfiger has teamed up with pioneering streetwear brand A Bathing Ape for a capsule collection.The American fashion house’s denim label, Tommy Jeans, has partnered with the Japanese firm’s diffusion line Aape on a Nineties hip-hop and street cult…

Tommy Hilfiger has teamed up with pioneering streetwear brand A Bathing Ape for a capsule collection.

The American fashion house’s denim label, Tommy Jeans, has partnered with the Japanese firm’s diffusion line Aape on a Nineties hip-hop and street culture-inspired capsule collection of menswear.

The Tommy Jeans x Aape by A Bathing Ape line will include polo shirts, denim jackets, T-shirts, footwear, and accessories that feature the American brand’s signature red, white, and blue colour palette.

The pieces are also oversized and emblazoned with A Bathing Ape’s Moon Face logo, camouflage patterns, and a Tommy Jeans x Aape by A Bathing Ape flag logo.

The collaboration was teased on Instagram on Saturday, with the official Instagram page for Tommy Jeans posting a short clip of both brand’s logos.

The limited-edition collection will be available online via Tommy.com and in Tommy Jeans stores in Shanghai and Toyko, A Bathing Ape stores and in other select stores across Europe from 11 July.

Prices start at $98 to $111 (£79 to £90) for oversized tees, polo shirts from $139 (£113), up to $300 (£243) for the chunky-soled sneakers, and the Tommy Jeans x Aape logo denim jacket is priced at $394 (£320).

A Bathing Ape, which specialises in men’s, women’s and children’s streetwear, was founded by Nigo in Ura-Harajuku in 1993, while its spin-off line was created back in 2012, and is targeted at a younger audience.

© Cover Media

Anthony Mackie calls out lack of diversity in Marvel film crews

Anthony Mackie has called out the lack of diversity behind the scenes on Marvel films.The actor, who has starred in seven Marvel blockbusters as Sam Wilson/ Falcon, criticised the Disney-owned company for failing to have a diverse and inclusive crew be…

Anthony Mackie has called out the lack of diversity behind the scenes on Marvel films.

The actor, who has starred in seven Marvel blockbusters as Sam Wilson/ Falcon, criticised the Disney-owned company for failing to have a diverse and inclusive crew behind the camera during an interview with Daveed Diggs as part of Variety’s Actors on Actors series.

“It really bothered me that I’ve done seven Marvel movies now where every producer, every director, every stunt person, every costume designer, every PA, every single person has been white,” he stated.

The 41-year-old went on to note that the only exception has been 2018’s Black Panther, which was helmed by Ryan Coogler and featured a line-up of Black actors including Michael B. Jordan, Chadwick Boseman, and Lupita Nyong’o.

“We’ve had one Black producer; his name was Nate Moore,” he continued. “He produced Black Panther. But then when you do Black Panther, you have a Black director, Black producer, a Black costume designer, a Black stunt choreographer. And I’m like, that’s more racist than anything else. Because if you only can hire the Black people for the Black movie, are you saying they’re not good enough when you have a mostly white cast?”

Mackie explained that he was using his clout as the co-lead of Disney+’s upcoming TV show The Falcon and the Winter Soldier to push for more inclusive hiring practices.

“My big push with Marvel, with everybody, is hire the best person for the job,” Mackie said. “Because it starts to build a new generation of people who can put something on their resume to get them other jobs. If we’ve got to divvy out as a percentage, divvy it out. And that’s something as leading men that we can go in and push for and push the envelope.”

© Cover Media

Michael Cera suffered concussion during Chris Evans fight scene in Scott Pilgrim

Michael Cera came away concussed after a brutal fight scene with Chris Evans while shooting Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.The actor played the geeky titular character in Edgar Wright’s cult classic, and he recalled filming the 2010 action comedy to celeb…

Michael Cera came away concussed after a brutal fight scene with Chris Evans while shooting Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

The actor played the geeky titular character in Edgar Wright’s cult classic, and he recalled filming the 2010 action comedy to celebrate the movie’s upcoming 10th anniversary.

In the movie, Scott must fight off the evil ex-boyfriends of Ramona Flowers, played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and in one memorable scene, he comes face-to-face with Evans’ fictional movie star Lucas Lee.

Cera told Entertainment Weekly that he suffered for his art while shooting the fight scene with the Captain America star, as was almost knocked out thanks to having a skateboard repeatedly smashed over his head.

“It was freezing when we were shooting that fight with Chris Evans all through the night. There was this moment where I get hit over the head with a skateboard, which was supposed to explode on impact,” he explained. “They build this skateboard out of balsa wood; I’m wearing a helmet under my hat. But this thing would not break. We did, like, five takes of me just getting hit over the head full force in an effort to make (it) explode.

“I felt myself getting a concussion,” the 32-year-old continued. “After five takes of that, I said to Edgar, ‘I don’t think I can do this anymore.’ They did it with a CG effect in the end.”

Considered a box office flop, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World went on to become a cult classic. Brie Larson, Kieran Culkin and Anna Kendrick co-star.

© Cover Media