Bohemian Rhapsody loses GLAAD Award nomination over new Bryan Singer allegations

Organisers of the GLAAD Media Awards have rescinded a nomination for Bohemian Rhapsody after its director Bryan Singer was hit with fresh allegations of sexual misconduct. The Queen biopic had been nominated in the Outstanding Film – Wide Release cate…

Organisers of the GLAAD Media Awards have rescinded a nomination for Bohemian Rhapsody after its director Bryan Singer was hit with fresh allegations of sexual misconduct.

The Queen biopic had been nominated in the Outstanding Film – Wide Release category by members of GLAAD, a media monitoring organisation which focuses on the depiction of LGBTQ people, but on Thursday (24Jan19) they told Variety.com that they had pulled the nomination in response to an article published in The Atlantic on Wednesday in which Singer was accused of engaging in sexual misconduct with four underage boys.

“This week’s story in The Atlantic documenting unspeakable harms endured by young men and teenage boys brought to light a reality that cannot be ignored or even tacitly rewarded,” a GLAAD spokesperson said.

They also took issue with Singer’s denial statement, in which he called the article a “homophobic smear piece”.

“Singer’s response to The Atlantic story wrongfully used ‘homophobia’ to deflect from sexual assault allegations and GLAAD urges the media and the industry at large to not gloss over the fact that survivors of sexual assault should be put first,” the statement continued.

In the expose, Singer was accused of having sex with or inappropriately touching four men back in the 1990s, when they were underage and Singer was in his 30s. The 53-year-old director, who was fired from Bohemian Rhapsody weeks before the end of the shoot, has denied the allegations.

After the article was published, many wondered if the X-Men filmmaker would continue to serve as director of the remake of 1985 action film Red Sonja.

On Thursday, producer and Millennium Films Chairman Avi Lerner issued a statement backing Singer, saying the success of the biopic is “testament to his remarkable vision and acumen.”

“I know the difference between agenda driven fake news and reality, and I am very comfortable with this decision. In America people are innocent until proven otherwise,” he concluded.

Actress Brigitte Nielsen, who starred in the original Red Sonja, told TMZ.com that Singer is innocent until proven guilty and should only be removed from the remake if turns out he did do what he’s accused of.

© Cover Media

Sylvester Stallone gets behind fifth Rambo movie

Sylvester Stallone is heading back to the big screen as John Rambo for a fifth movie. The Creed star’s Vietnam vet character, who first appeared in 1982’s First Blood, will tackle Mexican crime bosses in his latest adventure. Movie mogul Avi Lerner a…

Sylvester Stallone is heading back to the big screen as John Rambo for a fifth movie.

The Creed star’s Vietnam vet character, who first appeared in 1982’s First Blood, will tackle Mexican crime bosses in his latest adventure.

Movie mogul Avi Lerner and his Millennium partners will be taking the film to the Cannes Film Festival in France this week (beg07May18). Lerner will produce alongside Stallone, who is also writing the script, but the veteran action man reportedly won’t direct the project, despite directing the last Rambo saga, 2008’s Rambo.

The film is expected to start shooting in September (18), according to Deadline.

The plot surrounding Rambo 5 will center upon the daughter of one of the character’s friends, who is kidnapped in Mexico. Rambo crosses the U.S.-Mexican border to grapple with violent cartel bosses as he seeks to get the girl back and take her home to safety.

Stallone, who is currently working on the Creed sequel with director Stephen Caple, Jr, hasn’t always been a fan of bringing back Rambo for a fifth film, and two years ago (16), producer Lerner was reportedly considering a franchise revamp, which would not feature the Rocky star.

Reports suggested Millennium bosses were seeking a younger actor to take over the role in Rambo: New Blood, which The Iceman filmmaker Ariel Vromen was on board to direct from a script by Brooks McLaren, according to The Hollywood Reporter. It is not clear what has become of that project.

The character of John Rambo was created by author David Morrell.

As well as First Blood and 2008’s Rambo, Stallone also played the character in Rambo: First Blood Part II and Rambo III in 1985 and 1988, respectively.

© Cover Media