Dave Bautista ready to quit Guardians if James Gunn script is axed

Actor Dave Bautista intends to quit his role in the third Guardians of the Galaxy film if studio bosses ditch the script completed by fired director James Gunn. The wrestler-turned-movie star, who portrays Drax the Destroyer in Disney’s big screen ada…

Actor Dave Bautista intends to quit his role in the third Guardians of the Galaxy film if studio bosses ditch the script completed by fired director James Gunn.

The wrestler-turned-movie star, who portrays Drax the Destroyer in Disney’s big screen adaptations of the Marvel comic books, has made it clear he is not happy that Gunn will no longer be in charge of the franchise, following his dismissal in July (18), when old tweets he sent joking about rape and paedophilia were unearthed by conservative critics.

Last week (30Jul18), Bautista joined forces with co-stars including Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, and Vin Diesel to issue a joint statement backing the filmmaker, and calling on officials to re-hire Gunn, who has already apologised for the foolish actions of his past.

Their group action has yet to sway studio chiefs, and now Bautista has taken his support of his pal one step further, by claiming he will go as far as to ask to be released from his contract if Disney and Marvel chiefs decide to scrap the screenplay submitted by Gunn earlier this year (18).

“Where I’m at right now is that if (Disney/Marvel) don’t use that script, then I’m going to ask them to release me from my contract, cut me out or recast me,” he tells Shortlist. “I’d be doing James a disservice if I didn’t.”

His remarks emerge after Bautista confessed the thought of working on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 without the original film franchise’s writer/director made him sick.

“I will do what Im legally obligated to do but @Guardians without @JamesGunn is not what I signed up for (sic),” he told his Twitter fans on Sunday night (05Aug18). “GOTG w/o (without) @JamesGunn just isn’t GOTG. Its (sic) also pretty nauseating to work for someone who’d empower a smear campaign by fascists #cybernazis . That’s just how I feel.”

Production on the third instalment of the blockbuster series had been due to begin this autumn (18), ahead of a 2020 release, but it’s not yet known if the schedule will remain in place as a new director has yet to be announced.

© Cover Media

Sean Gunn won’t speculate on brother James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy rehiring

Sean Gunn doesn’t know if Disney will rehire his brother James Gunn, but is grateful for the support the fired director has received.James was booted from Marvel franchise Guardians of the Galaxy after old tweets he sent joking about rape and paedophil…

Sean Gunn doesn’t know if Disney will rehire his brother James Gunn, but is grateful for the support the fired director has received.

James was booted from Marvel franchise Guardians of the Galaxy after old tweets he sent joking about rape and paedophilia resurfaced recently.

The 51-year-old, who wrote and directed the first two Guardians instalments, was quick to apologise for the offensive posts, which he explained were written for shock value, and fans and the films’ stars have been rallying around to try and get Disney bosses to change their minds.

“I’m not really in the game of figuring out what a massive media company’s going to do,” actor Sean told TMZ. “But I’m happy to support my brother, and I’m happy to see other people support him. There’s been a lot of lies spread about him, but I think most people understand that they’re lies it’s mostly a lot of just people trying to destroy his character. And I just want to see what the fans think from here on out. I hope everybody stops and listens for a minute, instead of this quick to speak.”

On Monday (30Jul18), the Guardians cast, including Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Karen Gillan and Sean, signed a note in support of James.

In it, they jointly wrote: “We were all shocked by his abrupt firing last week and have intentionally waited these ten days to respond in order to think, pray, listen, and discuss. In that time we have been encouraged by the outpouring of support from fans and members of the media who wish to see James reinstated as director of Volume 3, as well as discouraged by those who were so easily duped into believing the many outlandish conspiracy theories around him.

“Each of us looks forward to working with our friend James again in the future. His story isn’t over – not by a long shot.”

While talking to TMZ, Sean, who plays Kraglin and serves as a stand-in for computer-generated character Rocket, added that the statement “really speaks for itself”.

© Cover Media

Guardians cast sign off on James Gunn support statement

The cast of Guardians of the Galaxy have signed an open letter supporting the film franchise’s director, James Gunn, after he was fired following a Twitter scandal. Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, and their co-star…

The cast of Guardians of the Galaxy have signed an open letter supporting the film franchise’s director, James Gunn, after he was fired following a Twitter scandal.

Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, and their co-stars have OK’d the note, which Pratt posted on his Instagram account on Monday (30Jul18).

Disney executives fired Gunn from the upcoming third Guardians movie earlier this month (Jul18) after an ill-advised Twitter joke he made about paedophilia several years ago was unearthed.

Gunn has since apologised, revealing he once foolishly liked to post things to shock followers, and Bautista was quick to support him, urging Disney bosses to rethink their decision, while Pratt and Saldana both addressed the drama on social media, without taking sides.

Posting the open letter online on Monday, Pratt added the caption: “Although I don’t support James Gunn’s inappropriate jokes from years ago, he is a good man. I’d personally love to see him reinstated as director of Volume 3.”

The statement, also signed by Karen Gillan, the director’s brother Sean, Michael Rooker, and Pom Klementieff, also urges Disney bosses to re-hire Gunn.

“We were all shocked by his abrupt firing last week and have intentionally waited these ten days to respond in order to think, pray, listen, and discuss,” the letter reads. “In that time we have been encouraged by the outpouring of support from fans and members of the media who wish to see James reinstated as director of Volume 3, as well as discouraged by those who were so easily duped into believing the many outlandish conspiracy theories around him.

“Each of us looks forward to working with our friend James again in the future. His story isn’t over – not by a long shot.”

The letter continues: “There is little due process in the court of public opinion. James is likely not the last good person to be put on trial. Given the growing political divide in this country, it’s safe to say instances like this will continue, although we hope American from across the political spectrum can ease up on the character assassinations and stop weaponizing mob mentality.”

Meanwhile, a Change.org petition demanding his reinstatement has now amassed over 335,000 signatures.

© Cover Media

Toronto Film Festival bosses pull press conference after fatal shooting

Organisers of the 2018 Toronto International Film Festival have cancelled a Tuesday morning (24Jul18) press conference following a fatal shooting in the city on Sunday night. Two people were killed and over a dozen others injured when a 29-year-old gu…

Organisers of the 2018 Toronto International Film Festival have cancelled a Tuesday morning (24Jul18) press conference following a fatal shooting in the city on Sunday night.

Two people were killed and over a dozen others injured when a 29-year-old gunman opened fire on crowded Danforth Avenue, where locals and tourists were enjoying late night meals and cocktails.

The man’s motive remains a mystery as city law enforcement officers attempt to make sense of the shooting incident.

Film festival bosses led by director and CEO Piers Handling, who is due to retire after this year’s event, had planned to unveil much of the 2018 line-up at Tuesday’s media conference, which would have been held just miles from the site of the shooting, at the TIFF Bell Lightbox. However, in light of the tragedy, they have decided to reveal the news via a press release instead.

The Toronto festival, which this year runs from 6 to 16 September, often predicts the films that will take home the gold at the Academy Awards.

Earlier on Monday (23Jul18), it was announced that Bradley Cooper’s directorial debut, A Star Is Born, will premiere at another major movie gala – the Venice International Film Festival on 31 August (18). The musical romantic drama, starring Cooper and Lady Gaga, is set to debut at the Palazzo del Cinema on the Lido at the event, over a month before it officially hits cinemas in early October (18).

Bosses of the Venice International Film Festival are scheduled to release their full line-up on Wednesday (25Jul18).

© Cover Media

Irina Shayk will never succumb to pressure to lose weight

Irina Shayk never succumbed to pressure to change her hair or weight in the early days of her career.The Russian supermodel rose to fame in 2007 when she was tapped as the face of lingerie brand Intimissimi and has since gone on to model for Victoria’s…

Irina Shayk never succumbed to pressure to change her hair or weight in the early days of her career.

The Russian supermodel rose to fame in 2007 when she was tapped as the face of lingerie brand Intimissimi and has since gone on to model for Victoria’s Secret, Givenchy, La Perla and Guess.

Though Irina’s curvy figure meant she struggled to get runway work when she first moved to Paris, she has now shared that she never let casting agents push her into doing anything wasn’t comfortable with.

“I never let any agency tell me, ‘Oh, you need to lose weight’ – and some of them did say that,” she said in an interview with ES magazine. “Or they wanted to cut my hair. But I never did it, because I always knew who I was. I think people felt my energy. Maybe it’s because I am Russian.”

Though the “super-skinny” models Irina lived and worked with teased her about her figure and inability to fit into “small clothes” at the time, she is glad she embraced her natural shape. Even now, she still refuses to go on diets or abide by strict exercise regimes.

“I tried a juice diet once. After six hours I wanted to kill somebody and eat them,” the 32-year-old laughed. “But eating is how I motivate myself to go to the gym. I do the Pilates machine because I call it a lazy workout – you just lie there. And I walk a lot. I hate cardio but I do it because I know I’m going to feel good afterwards.”

During the interview, Irina declined to talk about her home life with her actor partner Bradley Cooper and their 15-month-old daughter Lea De Seine. However, she did divulge that she is a very strict parent.

“I am Russian, so I am very strict,” she asserted. “And I am Capricorn, too, so I am super strict… Family is really important, especially with everything that is going on in the world.”

© Cover Media

Bradley Cooper: ‘Lady Gaga is a revelation in A Star is Born’

Actor-turned-filmmaker Bradley Cooper has praised Lady Gaga as a “revelation” in his upcoming movie, A Star is Born. The Oscar nominee shared his thoughts on the pop superstar’s acting talents during a career discussion with his Silver Linings Playboo…

Actor-turned-filmmaker Bradley Cooper has praised Lady Gaga as a “revelation” in his upcoming movie, A Star is Born.

The Oscar nominee shared his thoughts on the pop superstar’s acting talents during a career discussion with his Silver Linings Playbook co-star Robert De Niro at New York’s Tribeca Film Festival on Saturday (21Apr18), when they discussed the dedication Cooper has had in bringing his directorial debut to the big screen.

The classic musical drama, which was first released with Janet Gaynor in 1937, revolves around a wannabe singer who moves to Hollywood and is discovered by an alcoholic actor. Judy Garland played the aspiring star in a remake in 1954, and Barbra Streisand took on the iconic role in 1976.

“(It) kept haunting me, that story… shots kept coming into my head, and I would dream about it, and I realised I just have to do it, I have to sort of purge it in a way,” Cooper explained.

“So I knew that I had to do it. Whether it fails or not, I knew that I had to try. And I wound up absolutely loving it. I don’t wanna say too much because maybe you’ll hate the movie, but I love it. I really love it. It’s the movie I set out to make, which is hard to say,” he told De Niro.

He dubbed his leading lady a “revelation”, and revealed they made a pact at the start of filming.

“She said right from the beginning that this is gonna be a barter. ‘I’m gonna rely on you to get a performance that’s honest out of me’ – ’cause she’s never done a film (as a leading lady) before – ‘and I’m gonna make sure that you turn into a musician. Because we’re going to sing everything live,'” Cooper said.

“And I thought, ‘Wait, wait… what?’ And she said, ‘The only way this is going to work… I can’t stand when I watch musicals and you can tell that it’s a prerecording, or lip syncing.’ And she’s right. So that was terrifying, but I really relied on her,” he added.

The 43-year-old also thanked De Niro and his frequent collaborator, director David O. Russell, who made a surprise appearance during the interview, for helping him with the final cut of A Star is Born.

“You (David) spent like, 25 minutes just going through the whole thing right when you were in the middle of something. And it’s that kind of camaraderie that I’d always read about, with (Martin) Scorsese and (De Niro), and the Coen brothers and their actors,” Cooper gushed. “To be able to be a person who has loved and admired these men so much, and then have them help me to create art has just been incredible.”

A Star is Born is set for release in October (18).

© Cover Media

Irina Shayk turns designer for debut collection

Irina Shayk is designing a capsule collection for fashion brand Ellen Tracy.The Russian supermodel is one of the most sought-after names in the industry, having walked the runway for the likes of Victoria’s Secret, Miu Miu, Marc Jacobs, Versace and Giv…

Irina Shayk is designing a capsule collection for fashion brand Ellen Tracy.

The Russian supermodel is one of the most sought-after names in the industry, having walked the runway for the likes of Victoria’s Secret, Miu Miu, Marc Jacobs, Versace and Givenchy.

Now, Irina is putting her style expertise to work by teaming with U.S. company Ellen Tracy on her first line, which she will also model in an accompanying campaign.

“This is my first time designing a collection,” she told WWD. “Ellen Tracy is such an iconic brand and has a long and respected history in the fashion industry.”

Founded by Herbert Gallen in 1949, Ellen Tracy is now owned by Sequential Brands Group, the parent company of Jessica Simpson and Martha Stewart’s brands.

The 25-piece Irina Shayk x Ellen Tracy line features a number of separates, including skirts and dresses, as well as shirts, maxidresses and chunky knit sweaters, with the collection priced from $35 to $150 (£25 – £108).

“I am a working woman, and I want to design something that I want to wear,” the 32-year-old shared of her aesthetic, adding that she was determined to include a range of pieces that travelled well. “I spend a lot of time in Los Angeles, and trust me, maxidresses are the way to go. You never know with the weather, and they’re so easy to throw on and they’re comfortable.”

Irina, who welcomed daughter Lea de Seine with partner Bradley Cooper last March (17), has signed on to be the face of Ellen Tracy for a year. She has taken a hands-on approach to the collection, with Jameel Spencer, fashion division president of Sequential Brands Group, praising her commitment.

“As soon as we saw Irina, we knew she embodied the new Ellen Tracy woman – feminine and strong, confidently juggling the many areas of her life,” he added.

© Cover Media