NASA officials determined to make Tom Cruise space movie happen

Officials at NASA are doing everything they can to ensure Tom Cruise’s new space movie will happen.News broke earlier this month that the Hollywood movie star would be heading into new intergalactic heights by teaming up with Elon Musk’s aerospace comp…

Officials at NASA are doing everything they can to ensure Tom Cruise’s new space movie will happen.

News broke earlier this month that the Hollywood movie star would be heading into new intergalactic heights by teaming up with Elon Musk’s aerospace company SpaceX and experts at NASA to become the first person to shoot a movie aboard the International Space Station (ISS).

According to editors at Deadline, Edge of Tomorrow director Doug Liman is helming the as-yet-untitled project, and while plot details are firmly under wraps, NASA administrator James Bridenstine is adamant his team is working hard to get the project underway.

“People ask me about Tom Cruise all the time now,” he said at the delayed SpaceX rocket launch in Florida on Wednesday. “The answer is yes, we would love for Tom Cruise to fly to the International Space Station and make a movie. I’m all for that.

“We’re going to do what we can to make that happen,” Bridenstine added, noting that he was inspired to become a Navy pilot after watching Cruise in the 1986 classic, Top Gun.

“There was a day when I was in elementary school and I saw Top Gun. From that day, I knew I was going to be a Navy pilot. It’s just the way it was. If we can get Tom Cruise to inspire an elementary kid to join the Navy and be a pilot, why can’t we get Tom Cruise to inspire the next Elon Musk?” he asked. “It’s all about the next generation.”

In addition to directing, Liman is also writing the first draft of the screenplay and will produce alongside Cruise.

© Cover Media

Doug Liman to direct Tom Cruise’s space movie

Doug Liman is to direct Tom Cruise in a movie filmed in space. Earlier this month, it was reported that the Mission: Impossible actor was teaming up with Elon Musk’s aerospace company SpaceX and officials at America’s National Aeronautics and Space Ad…

Doug Liman is to direct Tom Cruise in a movie filmed in space.

Earlier this month, it was reported that the Mission: Impossible actor was teaming up with Elon Musk’s aerospace company SpaceX and officials at America’s National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) to make the first-ever feature film to be shot in outer space, and the news was swiftly confirmed by NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine, who revealed it would be filmed on the International Space Station (ISS).

Now, editors at Deadline have revealed that Cruise came up with the idea with his frequent collaborator Liman, who has directed the actor in Edge of Tomorrow and American Made. In addition to directing, Liman is also writing the first draft of the screenplay and will produce alongside Cruise.

However, back in 2018, The Terminator director James Cameron revealed to Empire magazine that he discussed making a movie on the ISS with Cruise many years ago.

“I actually talked to (Cruise) about doing a space film in space, about 15 years ago,” he said. “I said, ‘Tom, you and I, we’ll get two seats on the Soyuz (spacecraft), but somebody’s gotta train us as engineers.’ Tom said, ‘No problem, I’ll train as an engineer.’ We had some ideas for the story, but it was still conceptual.”

Liman and Cruise, who are both pilots, have work on other projects to complete before focusing on the space movie. Liman, who has also directed Mr. & Mrs. Smith and The Bourne Identity, is currently in post-production on Chaos Walking, starring Daisy Ridley and Tom Holland, while Cruise is to reprise his role as Ethan Hunt for two more Mission: Impossible movies, which were due to begin filming before the coronavirus caused the production to shut down. He will also be heading out on a promotional tour for Top Gun: Maverick, which was pushed from summer to December due to the health crisis.

© Cover Media

Emily Blunt hoping ‘stars will align’ for Edge of Tomorrow sequel

Emily Blunt is hoping the “stars will align” so a sequel to Edge of Tomorrow gets made.In the 2014 sci-fi action blockbuster, the 37-year-old starred as Sergeant Rita Vrataski, who was assigned to help Tom Cruise’s novice Major William Cage defeat a ra…

Emily Blunt is hoping the “stars will align” so a sequel to Edge of Tomorrow gets made.

In the 2014 sci-fi action blockbuster, the 37-year-old starred as Sergeant Rita Vrataski, who was assigned to help Tom Cruise’s novice Major William Cage defeat a race of aliens invading Earth.

Reports of a sequel have been circulating ever since, and according to Blunt, director Doug Liman has settled on the perfect story for the follow-up since recruiting screenwriter Matthew Robinson.

“I think there’s an idea, that he says is great,” she told IndieWire. “And (Liman) says this guy came in and cracked the case. How the stars will all align for us to be able to do it. I don’t know. I hope they do.”

She joked that by the time production begins on the highly anticipated sequel, she and Cruise will be pensioners and will need the de-ageing technology used on Martin Scorsese’s gangster epic The Irishman.

“Tom and I are going to be 70 before we make another one It’s going to look a bit weird. We’ll have to do a real flash-forward one… We’ll go full Irishman, it’ll be the Irishman version of Edge of Tomorrow. Who knows? I hope, I’m going to talk to Doug about it,” Blunt added.

In the action movie, Cruise’s character is trapped in a time loop, dying over and over again during the same battle, until his combat skills improve enough for him to figure out how he and Vrataski can defeat the alien race, called Mimics.

Despite having to endure brutal battle scenes repeatedly, Blunt had the time of her life filming Edge of Tomorrow.

“I absolutely adored it. It broke my body in half, but I’d be willing to do it again to work with those boys who I love. So let’s see,” she teased.

© Cover Media

Gambit movie pulled from release schedule

Disney executives have seemingly shelved the Gambit movie, after failing to mention the title in the latest Disney-Fox release schedule.Bosses from the two studios, which merged earlier this year after Disney acquired Fox, announced the upcoming theatr…

Disney executives have seemingly shelved the Gambit movie, after failing to mention the title in the latest Disney-Fox release schedule.

Bosses from the two studios, which merged earlier this year after Disney acquired Fox, announced the upcoming theatrical releases for the next few years on Tuesday.

While fans were excited at getting Star Wars, Avatar and Marvel updates, one film was noticeably absent from the announcement – Gambit.

Channing Tatum has been attached to play the Marvel Comics character since 2014, and over the years has frequently spoken about the film. However, a director has been harder to find, with Rupert Wyatt, Doug Liman, and Gore Verbinski all drafted in to take the helm, before departing the project.

The character has so far only made one appearance in the X-Men universe, popping up in 2009’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine, though it was Taylor Kitsch, not Channing, playing the part.

It was last slated for release in March 2020, but Gambit’s future was thrown into turmoil during Disney the Fox merger.

In the wake of the deal being completed, Gambit producer Simon Kinberg, the director behind upcoming X-Men instalment Dark Phoenix, shared his hope that the film would still be going ahead.

“I love the idea of Channing playing Gambit,” he said in March. “I think we have a great script for it and I think it’s a role he was born to play. It’s a character I grew up loving and I know the fans love. So I suspect, I hope it will happen.”

Among the movies that got a release date are three as-yet-untitled Star Wars films, which will hit cinemas on 16 December 2022; 20 December 2024; and 18 December 2026, and the long-awaited Avatar follow-ups, the first of which arrives later than expected on 17 December 2021. The James Cameron-directed features will then drop over the holiday period every other year until 2027.

© Cover Media

Director Doug Liman in talks for The Cannonball Run remake

Filmmaker Doug Liman is in talks to remake Burt Reynolds’ classic action comedy The Cannonball Run for a new generation of fans. The Bourne Identity director is in the early stages of negotiations with Warner Bros. studio bosses, who have been trying …

Filmmaker Doug Liman is in talks to remake Burt Reynolds’ classic action comedy The Cannonball Run for a new generation of fans.

The Bourne Identity director is in the early stages of negotiations with Warner Bros. studio bosses, who have been trying to get the project off the ground since 2016.

Get Hard’s Etan Cohen had initially been approached to write and direct the film, but when he dropped out, they turned to Central Intelligence’s Rawson Thurber last year (17) to step behind the camera for the reboot, with Night at the Museum screenwriters Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant expected to pen the movie.

Now Liman is said to be circling the project, according to Deadline.com.

The original 1981 release starred Reynolds alongside Roger Moore, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Jackie Chan, and Farrah Fawcett, and chronicled the adventures of a real-life illegal cross-country car race. It was directed by Hal Needham.

The Cannonball Run spawned two more sequels – Cannonball Run II in 1984 and 1989’s Speed Zone, which starred John Candy, Eugene Levy, and Brooke Shields.

Liman is currently busy working on upcoming sci-fi movie Chaos Walking, which is said to require major reshoots ahead of its planned release in March, 2019.

The film, featuring Tom Holland and Daisy Ridley, is based on Patrick Ness’ young adult novel The Knife of Never Letting Go from his Chaos Walking trilogy, and is set in a dystopian world where all living creatures can hear each other’s thoughts in a stream of images, words, and sounds called Noise.

© Cover Media