Spike Lee apologises for defending Woody Allen

Spike Lee has apologised after defending fellow filmmaker Woody Allen.The Do the Right Thing director was heavily criticised for the comments he made in a recent interview with New York radio station WOR, in which he said Allen was his close friend. “I…

Spike Lee has apologised after defending fellow filmmaker Woody Allen.

The Do the Right Thing director was heavily criticised for the comments he made in a recent interview with New York radio station WOR, in which he said Allen was his close friend.

“I’d just like to say Woody Allen is a great, great filmmaker,” Lee began. “This cancel thing is not just Woody, and I think that when we look back on it, we’re going to see that – short of killing somebody – I don’t know you can just erase somebody like they never existed. He’s a friend of mine, a fellow Knicks fan, and I know he’s going through it right now.”

In a post on Twitter on Saturday, Lee apologised for his comments in the interview, and insisted he was not dismissing victims of sexual abuse or violence.

“I Deeply Apologize. My Words Were WRONG. I Do Not And Will Not Tolerate Sexual Harassment, Assault Or Violence. Such Treatment Causes Real Damage That Can’t Be Minimized.-Truly, Spike Lee,” he posted.

As the #MeToo movement gained traction in late 2017, Allen’s adopted daughter Dylan Farrow went public once again with allegations that he sexually abused her when she was a child in the ’90s. Allen has always denied the accusation.

His movie, A Rainy Day in New York, which was filmed in 2017, was dropped by its original distributor Amazon Studios and shelved for some time before eventually being released in territories outside of the U.S. from last year.

His memoir, Apropos of Nothing, was dropped by its original publisher following social media outrage over its publication and it was subsequently released by a different publisher earlier this year.

© Cover Media

Woody Allen reaches settlement with Amazon in $68 million lawsuit

Woody Allen has reached a settlement with Amazon Studios in his $68 million (£53 million) lawsuit over an abandoned film deal.Back in 2016, the director signed a four-film deal with the studio and received a $10 million (£7.8 million) advance payment…

Woody Allen has reached a settlement with Amazon Studios in his $68 million (£53 million) lawsuit over an abandoned film deal.

Back in 2016, the director signed a four-film deal with the studio and received a $10 million (£7.8 million) advance payment. However, his first film for the streaming service, A Rainy Day in New York, was shelved in 2018 after his adopted daughter, Dylan Farrow, repeated allegations that Allen had molested her when she was a child.

The 83-year-old filmmaker, who vehemently denied the claims, filed a lawsuit in February, alleging that Amazon breached the deal after they then cancelled the three other films.

Lawyers for Amazon Studios argued that Allen’s comments about the #MeToo movement last year “sabotaged” its attempts to promote his new movies.

Both parties filed paperwork last week to finally end the legal action. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed, but a source told Deadline, “There were no winners in this in the end.”

The four-time Oscar winner reportedly expressed sympathy for disgraced movie producer Harvey Weinstein, and later accused his adopted daughter of “cynically using the #MeToo movement” to reiterate her claims.

He then said in an interview with Argentinean broadcaster Eltrece that he “should be the poster boy for the Me Too movement” since he had worked with plenty of actresses and was “only accused by one woman in a child custody case”.

Amazon Studios said they were justified in terminating the four-film deal with Allen because his comments “undermined its financial security.”

Lawyers for the studio also pointed out that “scores of actors and actresses expressed profound regret for having worked with Allen in the past, and many declared publicly that they would never work with him in the future”.

© Cover Media

Jeff Goldblum would consider working with Woody Allen again

Jeff Goldblum is open to working with director Woody Allen again in the future.In a new interview, the Jurassic Park star has praised the Annie Hall filmmaker, despite the 83-year-old being accused of child molestation by his adopted daughter, Dylan Fa…

Jeff Goldblum is open to working with director Woody Allen again in the future.

In a new interview, the Jurassic Park star has praised the Annie Hall filmmaker, despite the 83-year-old being accused of child molestation by his adopted daughter, Dylan Farrow. Allen has denied the claims and no criminal charges have been brought against him.

“I think there is a presumption of innocence until proven guilty,” Goldblum told British newspaper The i. “I know I enjoyed working with him many years ago and I sat in with his band once too.”

Hollywood stars including Colin Firth, Rebecca Hall, and Timothee Chalamet said they would never work with the Oscar-winning filmmaker again after Farrow went public last year with her allegations.

Despite voicing his support for the #MeToo movement, the 67-year-old – who had a small role in Annie Hall – insisted he admires Allen’s work and is waiting for more evidence before making any further decisions.

“Even though I feel like this cultural shift (the #MeToo movement) is very, very positive and long overdue and I support it wholeheartedly and take it very seriously, I also admire his body of work. So, I would consider working with him again, until I learned something more,” he added.

Farrow, who is the adopted daughter of Allen and actress Mia Farrow, opened up about the alleged sexual assault in an interview with Gayle King last year.

She alleged the director had molested her at the age of seven, and first went public with the allegations in an open letter to The New York Times.

© Cover Media

Freida Pinto has no regrets over Woody Allen movie

Freida Pinto doesn’t regret working on a Woody Allen film.Since Allen’s adopted daughter Dylan Farrow publicly accused the four-time Oscar winner of sexual assault in an open letter for The New York Times in 2014, allegations he denies, numerous stars …

Freida Pinto doesn’t regret working on a Woody Allen film.

Since Allen’s adopted daughter Dylan Farrow publicly accused the four-time Oscar winner of sexual assault in an open letter for The New York Times in 2014, allegations he denies, numerous stars have denounced the director.

Regarding working with Allen on 2010 film You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, Pinto admitted she has fond memories from the shoot, but that was all due to her co-stars.

“I wouldn’t say I regret that experience, because I learnt a lot from my co-stars. I loved working with Josh Brolin, for example, and I learnt so much from him as an actor,” she said, adding: “But it is truly unfortunate that a lot of men still get away with things.”

For her next movie, the 33-year-old star is reteaming with Andy Serkis on his second directorial effort, Mowgli.

It’s based on Rudyard Kipling’s novel The Jungle Book and boasts an all-star line-up, including Cate Blanchett, Benedict Cumberbatch and Christian Bale.

Pinto is playing Mowgli’s mother, though her favourite character in the flick is lovable bear Baloo, as voiced by Serkis.

“There is something so big and caring and goofy about (Baloo),” she smiled. “He is all heart. I love Andy Serkis, he is a good man. We worked on Rise of the Planet of the Apes together. He is super talented and hasn’t let all of that success ever go to his head.”

Mowgli hits cinemas in October (18).

© Cover Media

Jennifer Jason Leigh won’t work with Woody Allen

Jennifer Jason Leigh wouldn’t work with Woody Allen even though he’s made some of her all-time favourite films.The 56-year-old actress has become hot property again in Hollywood after Quentin Tarantino cast her as his lead actress in his 2015 Oscar-win…

Jennifer Jason Leigh wouldn’t work with Woody Allen even though he’s made some of her all-time favourite films.

The 56-year-old actress has become hot property again in Hollywood after Quentin Tarantino cast her as his lead actress in his 2015 Oscar-winning Western saga The Hateful Eight.

However, she says she’d have to say no if Woody, who has been accused of sexual assault by his adopted daughter Dylan Farrow, came calling about a film role.

“No. A lot of my favourite films are Woody Allen films, but I wouldn’t work with him,” she bluntly told The Guardian.

During her chat with the newspaper, Jennifer spoke openly about the wave of sexual harassment, assault and even rape allegations that have rocked the film industry since an expose on Harvey Weinstein was published last year (17).

“I have countless stories,” she sighed. “Not of rape, but of very uncomfortable and awkward situations. Directors keeping you in a meeting for four hours, then saying they wanted to have dinner and were hungry. You’re forced into this situation where you want the job, but… it feels off.

“It’s obviously not just the film business. It starts with the president of the United States. It’s in every facet of society. People won’t be able to get away with it. The status quo is changing like a hurricane.”

Pulp Fiction helmer Quentin has also faced stories about his on-set behaviour, with his frequent collaborator Uma Thurman revealing he forced her to perform an unsafe car stunt for Kill Bill, which resulted in her crashing, and Rose McGowan accusing him of masturbating over images of her.

However, Jennifer only has good things to say about the director.

“I love Quentin, so all I can tell you is that he loves and is so respectful of everyone that he works with,” she stated. “When you get on the set, it feels like a family. He knew more about my career than I did – he was quoting things that I’d done forever ago as if they were yesterday.”

© Cover Media

Woody Allen: ‘I should be the poster boy for the #MeToo movement’

Woody Allen is convinced he should be the “poster boy” for the #MeToo movement against sexual misconduct because he has never been accused of “any kind of impropriety” in Hollywood. The Blue Jasmine filmmaker has been accused of sexual assault by his …

Woody Allen is convinced he should be the “poster boy” for the #MeToo movement against sexual misconduct because he has never been accused of “any kind of impropriety” in Hollywood.

The Blue Jasmine filmmaker has been accused of sexual assault by his adopted daughter Dylan Farrow – allegations he has always denied.

In January (18), Dylan gave her first television interview about the 1992 scandal, as the #MeToo movement against sexual misconduct began to gather pace. Following her interview, actresses including Mira Sorvino and Rebecca Hall vowed never to work with Allen again, but he insists he should not be punished because he has never acted improperly towards anyone in Hollywood.

“I’m a big advocate of the #MeToo movement,” he tells Argentinian news programme Periodismo Para Todos. “I feel when they find people who harass innocent women and men, it’s a good thing that they’re exposing them. But you know, I should be the poster boy for the #MeToo movement.

“I have worked in movies for 50 years. I’ve worked with hundreds of actresses and not a single one – big ones, famous ones, ones starting out – have ever ever suggested any kind of impropriety at all. I’ve always had a wonderful record with them.”

Allen is also “bothered” that he is included in discussions about disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein and director James Toback, who have both been accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women.

“What bothers me is that I get linked in with them,” he says. “People who have been accused by 20 women, 50 women, 100 women of abuse and abuse and abuse – and I, who was only accused by one woman in a child custody case which was looked at and proven to be untrue, I get lumped in with these people.”

And Allen is still “sad” that his daughter continues to accuse him of sexual assault.

“This is something that had been thoroughly analyzed 25 years ago by all the authorities and all came to the conclusion that it was not true,” he adds. “And that was the end and I continued with my life and now, come back now, I mean, my God, it is terrible to accuse a person of something like that. I am a man with a family and my own children.”

Bechet Dumaine, Woody’s daughter from his marriage to Soon-Yi Previn, and his adopted son Moses recently came forward to defend their dad.

Bechet wrote: “I never wanted to involve myself in the social media debates involving my father, but there comes a point when I realize that I can either continue pretending that none of this is going on, or stand up for him. He has been nothing but supportive and loving, and now it is my turn to support him.”

She linked her message to Moses Farrow’s lengthy blog post, in which he claimed the allegations against the Annie Hall director are false.

Moses also alleged that Dylan was brainwashed by their adopted mother, Mia Farrow, into thinking Allen abused her.

Bechet’s mother is Farrow’s adopted daughter from her marriage to conductor Andre Previn. Woody has accused his ex of plotting against him because she’s still angry about his decision to leave her for her daughter.

Dylan has maintained she was abused by her father, insisting that Moses’ recent blog post “contradicts” statements he has made in the past.

© Cover Media

Elle Fanning sorry for offending fans with Woody Allen film

Actress Elle Fanning has expressed “regret” for any offence caused by working with controversial director Woody Allen on upcoming film A Rainy Day in New York. The filmmaker and his collaborators have faced renewed criticism in recent months after All…

Actress Elle Fanning has expressed “regret” for any offence caused by working with controversial director Woody Allen on upcoming film A Rainy Day in New York.

The filmmaker and his collaborators have faced renewed criticism in recent months after Allen’s adopted daughter, Dylan Farrow, repeated calls for Hollywood actors to shun her estranged father amid allegations suggesting he sexually abused her as a child – claims Woody has vehemently denied.

However, as the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements against sexual misconduct began to dominate industry headlines, more and more of Allen’s movie stars have come out in support of Farrow – Woody’s daughter with his actress ex Mia Farrow – and vowed never to work with him again.

Fanning was asked about her decision to feature in Allen’s upcoming romantic comedy during an interview at the South by Southwest film festival in Austin, Texas on Saturday (10Mar18), when she appeared to be caught off-guard by the question as she promoted her new thriller, Galveston.

Without mentioning the director by name, she told TheWrap.com, “I regret if my decision to work with anyone hurt anyone in the process, because it’s never your intent to do (so).”

The 19-year-old Maleficent star then voiced her backing for the anti-sexual misconduct and discrimination movements sweeping Hollywood, stating, “I’m a huge supporter of women and working with women and (Galveston director) Melanie (Laurent).”

Fanning also revealed she had made a contribution to the Time’s Up legal defence fund, taking the lead of her A Rainy Day in New York co-stars Rebecca Hall and Timothee Chalamet, who donated their wages from the film to charity.

“This conversation that we’re having needs to be had for sure and it needs to be continued,” she added. “I’m a huge supporter of all of that.”

However, she stopped short of promising never to work with the moviemaker in future, like Hall and Chalamet have done, a vow British acting icon Michael Caine also made in a weekend chat with The Guardian.

The Italian Job legend won his first Oscar for his role in Allen’s 1986 movie Hannah and Her Sisters, but admits he was stunned to hear of the allegations made against the 82-year-old.

Referencing his work with Britain’s National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) charity, Caine said, “I’m a patron of the NSPCC and have very strong views about paedophilia.

“I can’t come to terms with it (accusations against Allen), because I loved Woody and had a wonderful time with him. I even introduced him to Mia.”

“I don’t regret working with him, which I did in complete innocence,” he added, “but I wouldn’t work with him again, no.”

The accusations against Allen were investigated by police in the early 1990s, when Mia Farrow first went public with the claims, but no charges were ever filed.

© Cover Media