Top Gun: Maverick and A Quiet Place Part II pushed to 2021

Top Gun: Maverick and A Quiet Place Part II have been postponed until 2021. Throughout this week, there has been a wave of release date announcements, with Christoper Nolan’s Tenet and Disney’s live-action Mulan, which had both been scheduled to open …

Top Gun: Maverick and A Quiet Place Part II have been postponed until 2021.

Throughout this week, there has been a wave of release date announcements, with Christoper Nolan’s Tenet and Disney’s live-action Mulan, which had both been scheduled to open in August, being removed from the release calendar indefinitely, and Star Wars movies and Avatar sequels being pushed back by a year.

On Thursday, Paramount executives followed suit and postponed two of their blockbusters until next year. Tom Cruise’s long-awaited Top Gun sequel has been moved from December 2020 to July 2021, while John Krasinski’s horror sequel, starring Emily Blunt, has been bumped from September 2020 to April 2021.

“We truly believe that there is no movie-viewing experience like the one enjoyed in theatres,” said Paramount’s president of domestic distribution Chris Aronson and president of international theatrical distribution Mark Viane in a statement. “We are committed to the theatrical experience and our exhibition partners, and want to stress that we are confident that, when the time comes, audiences everywhere will once again enjoy the singular joy of seeing Paramount films on the big screen.”

A Quiet Place Part II was originally set to open in March, just days before the coronavirus pandemic truly struck in the West, and it was subsequently given a new September date. Top Gun was initially set to be released this June before it was pushed to December.

In addition, Sony announced that they were delaying the release of Tom Holland’s Spider-Man sequel by one month so it would open on 17 December 2021, a date previously occupied by Avatar 2, which pushed back a year on Thursday. The change is currently only for Sony’s domestic U.S. calendar.

While cinemas have reopened in many parts of the world, chains in the U.S. remain closed due to a recent spike in coronavirus cases, and it is unlikely studio blockbusters will be released until all markets are back open.

© Cover Media

Scarlett Johansson worried Marvel fans wouldn’t like her as Black Widow

Scarlett Johansson was worried Marvel fans wouldn’t like her interpretation of fictional superhero Black Widow.The 35-year-old actress made her debut as former Russian super spy Natasha Romanoff in Iron Man 2 back in 2010, but she was concerned that sh…

Scarlett Johansson was worried Marvel fans wouldn’t like her interpretation of fictional superhero Black Widow.

The 35-year-old actress made her debut as former Russian super spy Natasha Romanoff in Iron Man 2 back in 2010, but she was concerned that she didn’t fit the bill.

“When we did (Iron Man 2), I didn’t know if the audience would like my interpretation of the character,” she told Parade magazine, before noting that she wasn’t even the first choice to play the superhero.

After a “wonderful” meeting with Jon Favreau, who helmed Iron Man 2, the part went to Emily Blunt.

“I was really excited to work with him, so I said, ‘If this doesn’t work out, I’m an actor for hire, so call me anytime,'” Scarlett recalled, and after Emily had to bow out due to scheduling reasons, the role was hers.

“The best call you can receive is after you are rejected for something and then you get it. You appreciate it more. I’ve basically made a career out of being second choice,” she laughed.

And it was while filming one particular scene in The Avengers back in 2012, alongside Chris Evans as Captain America, Chris Hemsworth’s Thor, Mark Ruffalo as Hulk, Jeremy Renner’s Hawkeye, and Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man, that she realised she was part of something really special.

“It’s the iconic hero shot,” she said of the scene which sees the six original Avengers ready for battle in New York. “We were all thinking, ‘This is crazy!’ because these worlds were coming together. We’re still processing how much of an impact these movies have had.”

© Cover Media

Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt’s Ball and Chain movie heading to Netflix

Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt’s upcoming romantic comedy Ball and Chain is heading to Netflix.It was announced earlier this month that the duo will be reuniting once again, after working together for the first time in Disney’s action-adventure Jungle …

Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt’s upcoming romantic comedy Ball and Chain is heading to Netflix.

It was announced earlier this month that the duo will be reuniting once again, after working together for the first time in Disney’s action-adventure Jungle Cruise.

And on Thursday, bosses at the streaming giant confirmed they had won a bidding war to acquire the superhero flick.

The movie will be based on Scott Lobdell’s four-part comic book series, first published in 1999, which follows unhappily married couple Edgar and Mallory Bulson as they become equipped with superpowers that only work when they’re together.

Johnson and Blunt will play the warring husband and wife, with The Big Sick co-writer Emily V. Gordon adapting Lobdell’s comic book for the big screen.

In a statement, the former wrestler said he was excited to not only be reuniting with Blunt, but working with Gordon for the first time.

“Netflix is the perfect partner to deliver this epic superhero/romantic comedy experience alongside us, and we’re excited to be back in business with the Netflix team,” he shared. “I’m also excited to not only reunite with dear friend Emily Blunt in front of the camera, but to also collaborate as producing partners as we bring Emily V. Gordon’s script to life.”

He also took to social media to share his excitement over the project, alongside a screenshot of the news.

“In #BallAndChain, Emily Blunt and I will play a married couple on the verge of divorce, who become blessed with superpowers that only work when we’re together,” Johnson wrote. “Written by Oscar nominee @emilyvgordon, who’s also a licensed couples therapist @netflix.”

© Cover Media

Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt to reunite for Ball and Chain

Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt are to reunite for new superhero movie Ball and Chain.The duo are reportedly attached to a new blockbuster which will see them team up once more after starring opposite each other for the first time in Disney’s action adv…

Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt are to reunite for new superhero movie Ball and Chain.

The duo are reportedly attached to a new blockbuster which will see them team up once more after starring opposite each other for the first time in Disney’s action adventure Jungle Cruise.

In the big-screen adaptation of Scott Lobdell’s four-part comic book series, which was published in 1999, Johnson and Blunt will play Edgar and Mallory Bulson, a couple who have decided to divorce.

However, they have to learn to put their differences aside after a mysterious meteor strike gives them extraterrestrial superpowers, which only work when they get along with one another.

The Big Sick co-writer Emily V. Gordon is penning the script, with Johnson and Blunt producing alongside Kevin Misher, who previously worked with the Hobbs & Shaw star on last year’s Fighting with My Family.

According to Deadline, several studios are interested but Netflix is the current frontrunner to purchase the superhero blockbuster for their streaming service.

Johnson and Blunt’s action adventure Jungle Cruise was due to be released on 24 July, but has now been postponed until next summer due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.

The British actress was also due to be seen in her husband John Krasinski’s horror sequel A Quiet Place Part II in March, but its release has been pushed back to September, while the former wrestler’s Netflix movie Red Notice was forced to shut down production after lockdown measures were introduced to stop the spread of the virus.

© Cover Media

Dwayne Johnson confident Jungle Cruise will be worth long release delay

Dwayne Johnson is confident July 2021 is the perfect time to release Jungle Cruise.Executives at Disney announced last week that the upcoming action-adventure flick would be unveiled on 30 July 2021 in the U.S. – a full year after its intended debut of…

Dwayne Johnson is confident July 2021 is the perfect time to release Jungle Cruise.

Executives at Disney announced last week that the upcoming action-adventure flick would be unveiled on 30 July 2021 in the U.S. – a full year after its intended debut of 24 July 2020 – amongst a host of other titles postponed by the coronavirus crisis.

Social distancing measures have forced cinemas to temporarily shut down, and studios are holding back new films until audiences may safely gather to view them.

In light of the news, Johnson, who stars in the film alongside Emily Blunt, elaborated on the delay to his Instagram followers and commented: “I feel great and bullish about this date as it gives us time for Disney to be fully operational in all their businesses – theme parks, hotels, cruise ships, but more importantly, it gives the world time to bounce back to living confidently.”

The star’s comment indicates Disney bosses see the appeal of Jungle Cruise reaching beyond theatres, hinting the studio will heavily cross-promote Jungle Cruise throughout its empire. This would be a natural move given the movie takes its premise from an already established theme park ride.

And speaking in a video uploaded to Instagram, Johnson remained focused on the global pandemic and the health and safety of all Disney employees and said it was important all concerned had “emotional confidence” in returning to work.

“Emotional confidence allows us to get our kids back to school feeling good about that, allows us to get back to work feeling good about that, allows our Disney employees our Disney team members to get back to work, too, and spread that joy and happiness as they love doing and are so proud to do,” the 47-year-old added.

© Cover Media

Millicent Simmonds helped John Krasinski improve sign language skills on A Quiet Place Part II

Millicent Simmonds helped John Krasinski improve his American Sign Language (ASL) skills while they were filming A Quiet Place Part II.The actor and director played the 17-year-old’s onscreen father in the 2018 horror A Quiet Place, which followed the …

Millicent Simmonds helped John Krasinski improve his American Sign Language (ASL) skills while they were filming A Quiet Place Part II.

The actor and director played the 17-year-old’s onscreen father in the 2018 horror A Quiet Place, which followed the Abbott family, who were forced to live in silence to hide from alien creatures that hunt humans with sound.

Simmonds wowed in her role as Regan in the critically-acclaimed movie, and the deaf actress was encouraged to board the sequel after Krasinski used FaceTime to pitch the idea to her.

In an interview with Variety, she shared that she helped the filmmaker improve his ASL skills while making the sequel.

“We communicate really well,” Simmonds said via an interpreter. “We already had an ease in communication, but we shared so many moments where we’d have conversations about a scene. The sequel really shows you a different perspective.”

The sequel follows the Abbott family as matriarch Evelyn, played by Emily Blunt, fights to keep her family alive after the death of her husband, who was portrayed by Krasinski.

And The Office star was determined to focus the sequel on Simmonds’ character as he was so impressed with her performance in the original.

“I had this small idea, which was to make Millie the lead of the movie,” Krasinski explained. “Not only did I think she would give an amazing performance, which I knew she could do, her character opens the door to all the themes I was dealing with in the first movie.”

A Quiet Place Part II was originally due to be released in March but has been delayed until later this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

© Cover Media

Emily Blunt regrets wedding day spray tan

Emily Blunt deeply regrets not getting a professional spray tan for her wedding day.The British actress married actor/director John Krasinski in Lake Como, Italy back in July 2010, having become engaged the year before. During an appearance on The Late…

Emily Blunt deeply regrets not getting a professional spray tan for her wedding day.

The British actress married actor/director John Krasinski in Lake Como, Italy back in July 2010, having become engaged the year before.

During an appearance on The Late Late Show with James Corden on Thursday night, host James commented that Emily and John would soon be celebrating their 10-year wedding anniversary and asked if she would have changed anything about her big day.

And the Mary Poppins Returns star did not hesitate to admit she wished she hadn’t used an at-home self-bronzing kit the night before.

“I got a bad spray tan and I would probably change that,” she said. “I look at the pictures and it just has an orange hue that is unnatural to normal skin colour.

“It was a do-it-yourself (kit). Why was I on a budget on my wedding day? Why? It was a bit patchy… It stinks! And it was a very hot day, so if you sweat and you have a spray tan, wearing white. (It was) just seeping orange (everywhere). It was terrible.”

Emily didn’t divulge any further details about her wedding.

However, she did open up to James about her early performing days and the “unofficial” girl band she joined growing up.

“I mean, we were huge in my school… I think we were called Harmonious, or something. We were a close harmony a capella group. We’d sing, like, TLC’s Don’t Go Chasing Waterfalls. It brought the house down,” the 37-year-old laughed.

© Cover Media

Emily Blunt hoping ‘stars will align’ for Edge of Tomorrow sequel

Emily Blunt is hoping the “stars will align” so a sequel to Edge of Tomorrow gets made.In the 2014 sci-fi action blockbuster, the 37-year-old starred as Sergeant Rita Vrataski, who was assigned to help Tom Cruise’s novice Major William Cage defeat a ra…

Emily Blunt is hoping the “stars will align” so a sequel to Edge of Tomorrow gets made.

In the 2014 sci-fi action blockbuster, the 37-year-old starred as Sergeant Rita Vrataski, who was assigned to help Tom Cruise’s novice Major William Cage defeat a race of aliens invading Earth.

Reports of a sequel have been circulating ever since, and according to Blunt, director Doug Liman has settled on the perfect story for the follow-up since recruiting screenwriter Matthew Robinson.

“I think there’s an idea, that he says is great,” she told IndieWire. “And (Liman) says this guy came in and cracked the case. How the stars will all align for us to be able to do it. I don’t know. I hope they do.”

She joked that by the time production begins on the highly anticipated sequel, she and Cruise will be pensioners and will need the de-ageing technology used on Martin Scorsese’s gangster epic The Irishman.

“Tom and I are going to be 70 before we make another one It’s going to look a bit weird. We’ll have to do a real flash-forward one… We’ll go full Irishman, it’ll be the Irishman version of Edge of Tomorrow. Who knows? I hope, I’m going to talk to Doug about it,” Blunt added.

In the action movie, Cruise’s character is trapped in a time loop, dying over and over again during the same battle, until his combat skills improve enough for him to figure out how he and Vrataski can defeat the alien race, called Mimics.

Despite having to endure brutal battle scenes repeatedly, Blunt had the time of her life filming Edge of Tomorrow.

“I absolutely adored it. It broke my body in half, but I’d be willing to do it again to work with those boys who I love. So let’s see,” she teased.

© Cover Media

Emily Blunt ‘would’ve been an idiot’ to turn down A Quiet Place Part II

Emily Blunt and John Krasinski “would’ve been idiots” if they had turned down a sequel to A Quiet Place.In the 2018 horror, the real-life couple played Evelyn and Lee Abbott, who defended their home and family against terrifying monsters with an acute …

Emily Blunt and John Krasinski “would’ve been idiots” if they had turned down a sequel to A Quiet Place.

In the 2018 horror, the real-life couple played Evelyn and Lee Abbott, who defended their home and family against terrifying monsters with an acute sense of hearing.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Blunt said she immediately signed up to reprise her role as Evelyn in the follow-up, A Quiet Place Part II, after studio bosses convinced husband Krasinski to return to direct the sequel.

“It became very apparent that we’d be idiots not to do it. Ultimately, you will never catch the (same) lightning in the film, but there is a bigger world,” she explained.

And once Krasinski pitched his opening scene idea to her, which was one uninterrupted take revealing the moment the aliens landed on Earth, the 36-year-old knew she needed to return.

“(Everything was) choreographed down to a fine art,” Blunt said of the scene. “You really get a sense of what the world was and what the family was before it all happened.”

Krasinski also admitted he was initially reluctant to sign up for the sequel and had to be persuaded.

“I totally understood why the studio wanted to do a sequel for financial reasons,” he explained. “I didn’t want anything to do with it because, weirdly, as much as I’m the writer-director, I’m also a huge fan of this movie. I didn’t want to be a part of anything that would be viewed as a cash grab.”

© Cover Media

John Krasinski: ‘I didn’t want anything to do with A Quiet Place sequel’

John Krasinski originally refused to have anything to do with a sequel to his horror movie A Quiet Place.The original sci-fi horror, which followed a family fighting for survival in a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by blind extraterrestrial creatures…

John Krasinski originally refused to have anything to do with a sequel to his horror movie A Quiet Place.

The original sci-fi horror, which followed a family fighting for survival in a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by blind extraterrestrial creatures with an acute sense of hearing, was a major hit with the critics and at the box office following its release in 2018, so studio bosses at Paramount wanted Krasinski, who wrote, directed and starred in the original, to make a follow-up.

However, Krasinski has revealed to Entertainment Weekly he was reluctant to sign on for the sequel and had to be persuaded that it would a good idea.

“I totally understood why the studio wanted to do a sequel for financial reasons,” he explained. “I didn’t want anything to do with it because, weirdly, as much as I’m the writer-director, I’m also a huge fan of this movie. I didn’t want to be a part of anything that would be viewed as a cash grab.”

However, once he sat down and went through possible ideas for a sequel, he was “Jedi-mindtricked into directing this thing”.

Now, Krasinski is dealing with “very core-level anxieties” as he works hard to get A Quiet Place Part II finished ahead of its release in March, and The Office star is hopeful that fans of the original will love the follow-up just as much as he does.

“I hope people think the movie is as good as I think it is, because I had the same anxieties that (the fans) did when I heard they were making a sequel: ‘Why are they doing that?’ Hopefully I answered that question,” he shared.

A Quiet Place Part II, starring Krasinski’s wife Emily Blunt, returning stars Millicent Simmonds and Noah Jupe, and new additions Cillian Murphy and Djimon Hounsou, is in cinemas from 20 March.

© Cover Media