Harrison Ford shocked by proposal for Han Solo’s cameo in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Harrison Ford was stunned when J.J. Abrams approached him to reprise his role as Han Solo for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.The iconic character was killed by Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren, Han Solo and Leia Organa’s son Ben, in 2015’s The Force Awakens, b…

Harrison Ford was stunned when J.J. Abrams approached him to reprise his role as Han Solo for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

The iconic character was killed by Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren, Han Solo and Leia Organa’s son Ben, in 2015’s The Force Awakens, but briefly appeared in last year’s final instalment of the trilogy, much to the surprise of fans.

In an interview with USA Today, Ford admitted he was also shocked about Abrams’ plans for his cameo, and had to remind the filmmaker that he was killed off.

“When J.J. asked me to do it, I said, ‘Are you kidding? I’m dead!'” the 77-year-old recalled. “He said, ‘Sorta dead. You can do this.’ He hadn’t written anything at that time. But he said, ‘This is going to be great.’

“So I said okay. If J.J. asked you do something, you’d probably do it too. He’s a very persuasive guy.”

The Indiana Jones actor also insisted that he agreed to come back to the sci-fi fantasy saga because he felt Solo returning as a ghost-like figure to his son Ben was a pivotal moment in the villain’s transition from the dark to the light side.

“It was a useful addition to the story and the continuing development of Adam Driver’s character,” he explained. “And the chance to do another scene with Adam was great.”

Since the movie was released in December, fans have speculated if Ford’s character was using Jedi powers to return as a Force ghost, but he confessed he had no idea what one was.

“A Force ghost? I don’t know what a Force ghost is… Don’t tell anyone. I’m not talking loud enough for your recorder. I have no f**king idea what a Force ghost is. And I don’t care!” he laughed.

© Cover Media

Harrison Ford’s Han Solo jacket set to sell for over $1 million at props auction

A jacket worn by Harrison Ford as Han Solo in Star Wars is estimated to sell for over $1 million (£762,000) at an upcoming auction.The navy jacket featuring four front pockets that Ford donned in 1980 cinema classic The Empire Strikes Back is part of …

A jacket worn by Harrison Ford as Han Solo in Star Wars is estimated to sell for over $1 million (£762,000) at an upcoming auction.

The navy jacket featuring four front pockets that Ford donned in 1980 cinema classic The Empire Strikes Back is part of 600 lots being sold off by Prop Store during a live auction on 20 September (18) at London’s BFI IMAX cinema.

The fedora hat worn by Ford’s other famous alter ego, Indiana Jones, in Raiders of the Lost Ark is also going under the hammer, with experts estimating it will fetch up to $397,000 (£300,000), while adventurer Indy’s bullwhip from The Temple of Doom is poised to fetch up to $92,000 (£70,000).

There will also be lots of other Star Wars props on offer for fans of the sci-fi franchise, including a Stormtrooper helmet from the first Star Wars film as well as a similar helmet from 2017’s The Last Jedi.

And judging by a recent auction held in Las Vegas, appetite for original Star Wars props is high, with a blaster used by Han Solo in Return of the Jedi fetching $550,000 (£419,000).

Among the other lots at the upcoming Prop Store sale is the costume worn by Johnny Depp in the 1990 film Edward Scissorhands, the robe worn by Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden in Fight Club, the Jumanji game board from the 1995 film, Marty McFly’s (Michael J. Fox) hoverboard from Back to the Future Part II, Forrest Gump’s (Tom Hanks) Bubba Gump Shrimp hat and a Wonka Bar from Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory.

And for movie fans whose pockets aren’t that deep, all items will be on display for the public to view from 6 September.

“Our auction on September 20 2018 will once again raise the bar, presenting some of the most iconic cinematic artefacts of our time,” Stephen Lane, chief executive of Prop Store, said in a statement.

© Cover Media

Donald Glover pushed agent to win him Star Wars role

Donald Glover’s pushed his agent to get an audition for the role of Lando Calrissian after hearing there would be a Star Wars movie made about the young Han Solo. Disney bosses first announced that they hoped to make a film about the space smuggler in…

Donald Glover’s pushed his agent to get an audition for the role of Lando Calrissian after hearing there would be a Star Wars movie made about the young Han Solo.

Disney bosses first announced that they hoped to make a film about the space smuggler in 2013, and formally scheduled production on the project two years later.

Audiences will get to see Donald play Lando in Solo: A Star Wars Story when the film debuts later this month (May18), and he told U.S. late night TV host Jimmy Kimmel that he instantly knew he should play Han’s old pal.

“I told my agent, I was like, if they’re making a Han Solo movie, Lando’s got to be in it and I want to be Lando,” Donald said. “To his credit, and I appreciate it, he was like ‘I don’t like your odds’, which was awesome because I was like ‘I’m gonna get this’.”

The actor and rapper added that his determination to win the role was because as a child Lando was his favourite character from the final two films of the original Star Wars trilogy.

“It was a long time ago and I just really wanted to be it because it (a Lando action figure) was my first toy ever,” he explained.

Donald’s father nurtured his love of Star Wars – and his dad was the first person he told about his role in the film, he explained, adding, “I called my dad first and told him, that was like a big moment. He was proud.”

The star also took his parent on a tour of the film’s set in Fuerteventura, in Spain’s Canary Islands.

“There’s like this city that they (the production team) built on like this desert island, like an entire city,” he said. “We just got to walk through it and hang out.”

Solo: A Star Wars Story stars Alden Ehrenreich as Han, and also features Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke and Thandie Newton. It is released on 25 May (18).

© Cover Media

Ron Howard was anxious when taking over Solo: A Star Wars Story

Ron Howard was initially anxious about taking over directing duties on Solo: A Star Wars Story after the previous moviemakers were fired.The Da Vinci Code filmmaker was drafted in to helm the Star Wars prequel spin-off, which stars Alden Ehrenreich as …

Ron Howard was initially anxious about taking over directing duties on Solo: A Star Wars Story after the previous moviemakers were fired.

The Da Vinci Code filmmaker was drafted in to helm the Star Wars prequel spin-off, which stars Alden Ehrenreich as a young Han Solo, after directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller was ousted from the project due to creative differences with Lucasfilm executives last year (17).

Ron appeared on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on Thursday night (03May18) and admitted coming onto the film midway through production, when most elements had been developed without him, was “chaotic” and he was nervous on the first day because he was required to oversee a very technical sequence.

“I was anxious and pumped up and it was a big action scene. It’s a beautiful set and everybody’s there and it’s droids and it’s aliens and some Wookiees running around,” he shared. “I organised this very complicated shot and it took a long time to get it together and the actors were pulling hard to try to make it happen.”

After describing the camera move he was trying to pull off, the 64-year-old added that it “went beautifully” and he was feeling good about himself but felt even more validated after getting the seal of approval from the giant Wookiee Chewbacca, Han’s best pal.

“When you get a fist bump and a full body hug from Chewbacca, it’s an experience I wish every moviemaker could have, but I realised I was in the galaxy far away but it was going to be O.K.”

The former Happy Days star also stated that it was “an unusual circumstance” and it wasn’t an ideal situation for anybody on the project, but he agreed to come on board after reading the script, which he found “surprising and very satisfying”.

Solo: A Star Wars Story, which also stars Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson and Emilia Clarke, will premiere at the Cannes Film Festival on 15 May.

© Cover Media

Jon Favreau voicing alien character in Han Solo spin-off

Ron Howard has recruited his fellow actor/director Jon Favreau to lend his voice to a “very important” alien role in his forthcoming Han Solo Star Wars spin-off movie. Solo: A Star Wars Story is currently in post-production, but earlier this month (Fe…

Ron Howard has recruited his fellow actor/director Jon Favreau to lend his voice to a “very important” alien role in his forthcoming Han Solo Star Wars spin-off movie.

Solo: A Star Wars Story is currently in post-production, but earlier this month (Feb18), Spider-Man: Homecoming actor Favreau shared a photo of himself on Twitter with Howard and Star Wars screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan.

He simply captioned it, “@RealRonHoward and Lawrence Kasdan #starwars #solo”.

On Wednesday (14Feb18), Howard retweeted the shot for his followers, and revealed his friend had actually joined them in the studio to record vocals for a key character.

“Wondering why we r (sic) all together?,” he asked fans. “@Jon_Favreau is voicing a very cool & important alien character for #HanSolo”.

“Flattered & fortunate I could pull him away from his #LionKing directing duties,” Howard added, referring to the new live-action Disney remake Favreau is taking charge of.

No further details about his alien character have been revealed, but Solo: A Star Wars Story will explore the background of the titular character, who was made famous in the sci-fi franchise by Harrison Ford.

Alden Ehrenreich will play a young Solo in Howard’s movie, alongside Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian, as well as co-stars Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Paul Bettany, and Warwick Davis.

Howard took over as director last June (17), when original filmmakers Phil Lord and Chris Miller exited the project due to creative differences, but Glover recently insisted “not a lot at all” had actually been changed from their original vision for the movie.

Solo: A Star Wars Story will be released in May (18).

© Cover Media