Sony postponing release of Ghostbusters: Afterlife and Morbius amid coronavirus crisis

Executives at Sony Pictures have postponed the release of films including Ghostbusters: Afterlife and Morbius until 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic. Due to social distancing measures leading to the closure of cinemas around the world, many movies…

Executives at Sony Pictures have postponed the release of films including Ghostbusters: Afterlife and Morbius until 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Due to social distancing measures leading to the closure of cinemas around the world, many movies set for release in the coming months have been postponed, and on Monday, studio bosses at Sony announced they were shelving the majority of their 2020 releases, the most sweeping move by a major studio since the Covid-19 pandemic began.

Jason Reitman’s Ghostbusters: Afterlife, the fourth instalment in the supernatural comedy franchise, has been moved from its 10 July 2020 opening slot to 5 March 2021, while Morbius, a Marvel Comics adaptation starring Jared Leto as a vampire, has been pushed back from 31 July 2020 to 19 March 2021.

The film adaptation of video game Uncharted, which is set to star Tom Holland, Mark Wahlberg, and Antonio Banderas, has also been moved from 5 March 2021 to 8 October 2021. The flick, to be directed by Venom’s Ruben Fleischer, has been in development for years, and after being beset by multiple setbacks, it was due to begin filming in March, before the pandemic forced all movie productions to shut down.

Earlier this month, Sony officials announced they were postponing animated sequel Peter Rabbit 2, also known as Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway, from March until August, but the movie has been delayed once again and is now without a release date.

Greyhound, a World War II movie starring Tom Hanks, and an untitled Sony/Marvel movie, which were due to be released in June and October, respectively, have been taken off the release schedule indefinitely.

However, one project has been brought forward into 2020 – Kevin Hart’s drama, Fatherhood, will now be released on 23 October 2020 instead of 15 January 2021.

Other big movie releases to be delayed so far include No Time to Die, A Quiet Place II, Wonder Woman 1984, and Fast and Furious 9.

© Cover Media

Kevin Hart embracing grey hair during coronavirus lockdown

Kevin Hart is embracing his natural grey hair during the coronavirus lockdown.The 40-year-old actor has been keeping his fans and followers on Instagram entertained as millions round the world are forced to stay home to help stop the spread of the Covi…

Kevin Hart is embracing his natural grey hair during the coronavirus lockdown.

The 40-year-old actor has been keeping his fans and followers on Instagram entertained as millions round the world are forced to stay home to help stop the spread of the Covid-19 virus.

In his new series called Confessions from the Hart, the Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle star debuted his salt and pepper-coloured beard and hair as he revealed his plan to share candid stories and secrets about his life.

In the caption, he told his 87 million followers that he’s embracing his natural hair colour now he’s stuck inside.

“P.S I have always had a s**t load of grey hair… I was just a frequent dyer… I’m not working right now so I said F**K IT,” he wrote.

In a later video update, the comedian admitted he was enjoying his new look.

“I’m not gonna lie to y’all, I’m kinda rollin’ with the grey hair,” he said. “I’m feeling it, man. I ain’t never not been working for this long, so I never had a chance to let it grow like this… Grey hair in the beard? Grey hair up top, on the sides? … Giving you full ‘distinguished gentleman’ out here, man. Embrace it, don’t run from it!”

And Hart isn’t the only to transform his appearance while self-isolating.

Queer Eye star Jonathan Van Ness took to Instagram to reveal he had ditched his beard for a clean-shaven look, while actor Riz Ahmed debuted a new buzzcut.

“Anyone else do a #Stayhome haircut that got outta hand? Least now it feels like there’s someone else here when I look in mirror,” the Venom star wrote alongside two photos of his haircut on Instagram.

© Cover Media

Woody Harrelson replaces Jason Statham in The Man From Toronto

Woody Harrelson has been tapped to replace Jason Statham in action-comedy The Man From Toronto. The British action man was in talks to play the world’s deadliest assassin, known as “The Man from Toronto”, alongside Kevin Hart in the upcoming movie, wh…

Woody Harrelson has been tapped to replace Jason Statham in action-comedy The Man From Toronto.

The British action man was in talks to play the world’s deadliest assassin, known as “The Man from Toronto”, alongside Kevin Hart in the upcoming movie, which follows his character as he’s forced to team up with Hart’s Teddy and save the day after they are mistaken for each other in a rented Airbnb.

However, he abruptly exited the project last week, before his deal was signed, after disagreeing with Sony executives over the rating of the film, with him wanting an R-rated movie and Sony preferring a PG-13 market. Statham backing out of the film left the production in the lurch just six weeks before filming was set to begin.

According to editors at The Hollywood Reporter, Sony officials have swiftly found a replacement in the form of Harrelson, who recently worked with the studio on 2019 Zombieland sequel Double Tap and the upcoming Venom 2. His casting means the production can remain on schedule for a cinema release on 20 November.

The Man from Toronto is being directed by The Hitman’s Bodyguard helmer Patrick Hughes. Robbie Fox wrote the script from a story he originated with Jason Blumenthal, who is producing the movie with Todd Black and Steve Tisch under their Escape Artists banner.

Harrelson was recently seen reprising the role of Tallahassee in last year’s Zombieland: Double Tap and starring in World War II action movie Midway. He recently finished filming Venom 2, in which he stars alongside Tom Hardy as serial killer Cletus Kasady, also known as Carnage, as well as action-thriller Kate, alongside Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

© Cover Media

Jason Statham exits The Man from Toronto

Jason Statham has dropped out of The Man from Toronto.The British action man was due to play the world’s deadliest assassin, known as “The Man from Toronto”, in the upcoming movie, with the plot following the character as he’s forced to team up with Ke…

Jason Statham has dropped out of The Man from Toronto.

The British action man was due to play the world’s deadliest assassin, known as “The Man from Toronto”, in the upcoming movie, with the plot following the character as he’s forced to team up with Kevin Hart’s Teddy and save the day after they are mistaken for each other in a rented Airbnb.

However, editors at Deadline reported on Tuesday that Statham has dropped out of Sony Pictures’ action-comedy, which was due to go into production in six weeks’ time.

His casting was announced in January, though sources have claimed he never closed a deal to appear in the film. They also told the publication that Statham had “creative issues” with the movie, as he wanted it to be R-rated, while studio executives wanted it to be more of a PG-13, given its release days before Thanksgiving.

Producers are now trying to find a replacement to keep the production on track ahead of a cinema release on 20 November.

The Man from Toronto, which would have served as a reunion for Statham and his Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw co-star Hart, is being directed by The Hitman’s Bodyguard helmer Patrick Hughes. Robbie Fox wrote the script from a story he originated with Jason Blumenthal, who is producing the movie with Todd Black and Steve Tisch under their Escape Artists banner.

Statham, 52, recently reunited with his Snatch director Guy Ritchie to shoot Cash Truck, which also stars Josh Hartnett and Scott Eastwood. The film is now in post-production ahead of a release in January 2021.

In addition, Deadline also reported that The Transporter star parted ways with his agents at William Morris Endeavour (WME) on the same night he departed The Man from Toronto.

© Cover Media

Jason Statham and Kevin Hart in talks for The Man from Toronto

Jason Statham and Kevin Hart are reportedly in talks to team up for new action comedy The Man From Toronto.The Hobbs & Shaw star will play the world’s deadliest assassin, who reluctantly joins forces with loser Teddy, played by funnyman Hart, after a c…

Jason Statham and Kevin Hart are reportedly in talks to team up for new action comedy The Man From Toronto.

The Hobbs & Shaw star will play the world’s deadliest assassin, who reluctantly joins forces with loser Teddy, played by funnyman Hart, after a case of mistaken identity leaves the fate of the world on their shoulders, according to Deadline.

The movie is not related to 1933’s The Man From Toronto, which starred Jessie Matthews and Ian Hunter, and was based on the play by Douglas Murray.

The Hitman’s Bodyguard director Patrick Hughes, who previously worked with Statham on The Expendables 3, will oversee the project, with Robbie Fox penning the script based on a story from Jason Blumenthal.

Hart and Statham briefly shared scenes in last year’s Hobbs & Shaw, which also starred their frequent collaborator Dwayne Johnson.

Sony Pictures officials are eyeing a 20 November release for The Man From Toronto, with production expected to begin in March, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Hart is currently revelling in the huge success of Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle sequel, Jumanji: The Next Level, which has made over $738 million (£568 million) worldwide since its release in December.

The 40-year-old funnyman has also wrapped on upcoming drama Fatherhood, which will be released in January 2021.

Meanwhile, Statham recently reunited with Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch director Guy Ritchie for the revenge action thriller, Cash Truck, which has just finished filming.

© Cover Media

Oscars to go host-less for second year

The 2020 Academy Awards will be without a host for the second consecutive year.Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences officials decided to invite a string of guest presenters to carry the 2019 prizegiving after original host Kevin Hart quit for re…

The 2020 Academy Awards will be without a host for the second consecutive year.

Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences officials decided to invite a string of guest presenters to carry the 2019 prizegiving after original host Kevin Hart quit for refusing to apologise for old homophobic tweets, but the event went so well, they are now sticking to the same formula for this year’s ceremony.

ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke announced the news on Wednesday at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour in Pasadena, California.

“There will be no traditional host again this year,” Burke said, according to Entertainment Tonight. “Repeating what worked for us last year: huge entertainment value, big musical numbers, big comedy, and star power.”

Last year’s Oscars, the first time in over 30 years the show had been without an emcee, proved to be a big hit, drawing almost 30 million viewers, up 12 per cent from 2018’s bash.

Voting for the awards closed on Tuesday evening, with the nominations to be announced on 13 January. And even though the ceremony won’t have a main host, Burke is adamant the bash will be highly entertaining.

“We expect another really commercial set of nominations,” she shared. “A lot of incredible elements have already come together that have convinced us that we are going to have an incredibly entertaining show. Our goal is really that. Our goal is to present the most entertaining show possible and the producers have already put together a plan for what is going to be an entertaining telecast.”

The 92nd annual Academy Awards will take place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles on 9 February.

© Cover Media

Kevin Hart cried while filming Jumanji: The Next Level

Nick Jonas has claimed that Kevin Hart cried while filming Jumanji: The Next Level because it was so cold.The 27-year-old reprised his role alongside Hart, Jack Black, Dwayne Johnson and Karen Gillan as video game avatars in the action comedy sequel, a…

Nick Jonas has claimed that Kevin Hart cried while filming Jumanji: The Next Level because it was so cold.

The 27-year-old reprised his role alongside Hart, Jack Black, Dwayne Johnson and Karen Gillan as video game avatars in the action comedy sequel, alongside new castmembers Danny DeVito and Danny Glover.

Filming took place in California, Atlanta, Hawaii and Canada, and it was while shooting scenes in “very intense and very cold” conditions in Calgary that Kevin experienced issues.

“Kevin Hart, having just come up on one of the snowmobiles – that was the only way to get to set – and the wind blowing in his face so much that he started to cry, and so off camera as we’re all trying to do our scene he’s just crying because of the wind,” the singer told The Hollywood Reporter. “He’s obviously already funny but when you add that element to it, it gets even better.”

And Karen, who reprises her role as Ruby Roundhouse in the follow-up to 2017’s Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, also revealed that putting up with the treacherous weather conditions in Calgary paid off when the film hit the big screens.

“At one point we could see a blizzard coming toward us and we were like, ‘Should we maybe get off this mountain?’ and they’re like, ‘We’ll just finish this scene and then we’ll get off the mountain,'” she said. “It was very extreme, but it’s so worth it when you watch the film.”

© Cover Media

Kevin Hart hates working with animals in movies

Kevin Hart didn’t enjoy working with real animals on Jumanji: The Next Level as he was terrified of the camel he had to ride.The funnyman reprises his role as video game avatar Franklin ‘Moose’ Finbar in the sequel to 2017’s Jumanji: Welcome to the Jun…

Kevin Hart didn’t enjoy working with real animals on Jumanji: The Next Level as he was terrified of the camel he had to ride.

The funnyman reprises his role as video game avatar Franklin ‘Moose’ Finbar in the sequel to 2017’s Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, but was less comfortable during filming this time as he had to deal with real beasts.

Kevin explained during an appearance on The Graham Norton Show that he prefers working with computer-generated animals as he can trust them more.

“I prefer green screen to actual animals – I have a certain respect for them because we don’t know what they are thinking!” he laughed.

However, his co-star Dwayne Johnson then revealed the real reason was because he had to ride a camel during a segment of the film set in the desert. “It’s a fear. He is terrified of camels!” he added.

The Ride Along actor also discussed playing a different character in the sequel, as he is now the avatar for Danny Glover’s Milo Walker, rather than the young athlete Anthony ‘Fridge’ Johnson.

“The thought of (playing an avatar) is challenging, but when you embrace the idea, it’s actually more fun than anything and we had the opportunity to elevate the first movie we did. The challenge was to come back and outdo that success,” he said.

Elsewhere in the interview, the wrestler-turned-actor shared his delight with the sequel, which expands upon the first movie, which was a reboot of the original 1995 film Jumanji, starring Robin Williams.

“The first movie was amazing – it really took off,” Johnson said. “With the success of that, we wanted to come back even bigger for part two so we all committed to each other that the story would be right and that the creativity would expand the Jumanji universe.”

Jumanji: The Next Level, which also stars Karen Gillan, Jack Black, and Nick Jonas, is out on 13 December.

© Cover Media

Kevin Hart to front superhero comedy Night Wolf

Kevin Hart has signed on to star in new superhero comedy Night Wolf.In the upcoming STXfilms project, the actor and comedian will play a man who meets his future father-in-law for the first time, only to discover he is secretly the superhero known as t…

Kevin Hart has signed on to star in new superhero comedy Night Wolf.

In the upcoming STXfilms project, the actor and comedian will play a man who meets his future father-in-law for the first time, only to discover he is secretly the superhero known as the Night Wolf.

“I am excited to be working with our friends at STX again,” he said in a statement. “They brought us a great project with Night Wolf. I instantly fell in love with this pitch about an everyday guy who is meeting his in-laws for the first time and unwittingly discovers his dad to be is secretly a superhero.”

Pokemon Detective Pikachu screenwriters Dan Hernandez and Benji Samit will pen the script for the story. No other casting details have been announced.

Hart previously teamed with STX studio bosses for The Upside and the upcoming Black Friday. In light of the deal, chairman of STXfilms, Adam Fogelson, commented that he is thrilled to be making another film with the 40-year-old and the producers at his HartBeat Productions company.

“After we acquired Night Wolf, we submitted it to Kevin Hart and the team at HartBeat hoping they would love it as much as we did,” Fogelson shared. “It is a big, broad comedy and the idea is great fun and perfectly matched with Kevin’s comedic talent. We are thrilled to be working on what will now be our fourth film together.”

Hart has a busy schedule ahead with Jumanji: The Next Level, Ride Along 3, and TV series Action Scene on his slate.

Meanwhile, other STX films to be released in the near future include Constance Wu and Jennifer Lopez’s Hustlers, Dave Bautista’s action-comedy My Spy, and Guy Ritchie’s 2020 crime film, The Gentlemen.

© Cover Media

Patton Oswalt gutted he didn’t record with The Secret Life of Pets 2 co-stars

Patton Oswalt is a little sad he didn’t get to record with his A-list The Secret Life of Pets 2 co-stars.Patton joined the cast for the second instalment of Chris Renaud’s animated flick, taking over the voice role of Max from Louis C.K., who was l…

Patton Oswalt is a little sad he didn’t get to record with his A-list The Secret Life of Pets 2 co-stars.

Patton joined the cast for the second instalment of Chris Renaud’s animated flick, taking over the voice role of Max from Louis C.K., who was let go from Universal Pictures after a string of sexual harassment allegations were made against him.

Kevin Hart, Eric Stonestreet, Lake Bell and Jenny Slate have all returned following the success of the 2016 original, with Harrison Ford and Tiffany Haddish also joining the franchise.

“I know, and that part stinks (not recording with my co-stars),” Patton said ahead of the film’s premiere in a chat with Collider. “But it also makes me go, ‘Well, hopefully I’ll get to meet them at the premiere.’ I’m gonna try to get a pic with Harrison Ford, and I’ll be happy.”

The feature began hitting screens in May, and Patton got his wish at the Los Angeles premiere earlier this month when he posed for group shots with the rest of The Secret Life of Pets 2 stars.

Praising the work of Kevin, Jenny, Harrison and Wayne’s World legend Dana Carvey, Patton revealed it’s one of the rare times he can’t wait to watch back his own work.

“Yeah, it’s really amazing to be a part of. I love doing animation, but to be in an animated movie where it’s such a huge ensemble of genuinely talented people that I’m a fan of, like Kevin, Jenny Slate, Dana Carvey and Harrison Ford, so that when I see the movie, as fun as it is to watch my scenes, I get to be really surprised by the stuff that the other voice actors were doing. That’s a rare thing, to get to be in a movie that you’re excited to go see,” the 50-year-old grinned.

© Cover Media