Director Jon M. Chu has praised the decision to postpone the release of In the Heights.The silver screen adaptation of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s hit Broadway musical was set to be released on 26 June, but studio executives at Warner Bros. announced on Tuesd…
Director Jon M. Chu has praised the decision to postpone the release of In the Heights.
The silver screen adaptation of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s hit Broadway musical was set to be released on 26 June, but studio executives at Warner Bros. announced on Tuesday that it would be delayed, amid the coronavirus pandemic.
“We had the best summer of our lives filming In the Heights movie last year,” Miranda told his followers on Twitter. “We couldn’t wait to share it with you. But we’re going to have to wait a little longer. When we can safely gather again, flags in hand, we will be there, enjoying this movie in theatres.”
And in an interview with Insider, Chu revealed he was relieved the film had been postponed, as he felt it needed to be shown in a crowded cinema, something that would be impossible now with the closures of movie theatres around the world.
“We want people to have (that) experience,” he explained. “And with it being a musical, if you look back at history, that kind of movie has always brought people together at the worst times to celebrate life. And now we need that even more so.”
While the Crazy Rich Asians filmmaker was frustrated at being just 20 days from completing the film, he wants In the Heights to bring people together once the world begins to recover from the Covid-19 outbreak.
“I think it’s going to give a lot of people that light they need,” Chu shared. “The big thing is we get this movie on the big screen when people are in the right place in their lives to enjoy it. When people are coming out of the darkness and the light can come in.”
He also took to Twitter to share the same touching sentiment, and told his followers: “We will have a big friggin’ party when we get to see it on the big screen! And we will all be together again dancing in the aisles!! Stay healthy and take care of your family in the meantime.”
© Cover Media
Lin-Manuel Miranda has hinted at a delay to his movie In the Heights by revealing he was still working on it when the coronavirus outbreak hit America. The Mary Poppins Returns star is in charge of the music in the movie musical, the film adaptation o…
Lin-Manuel Miranda has hinted at a delay to his movie In the Heights by revealing he was still working on it when the coronavirus outbreak hit America.
The Mary Poppins Returns star is in charge of the music in the movie musical, the film adaptation of his Broadway show, and was working on the score when U.S. citizens were advised to self-isolate to help curb the spread of Covid-19.
In a video interview with Rosie O’Donnell on a one-off revival show of The Rosie O’Donnell Show on Sunday night, Miranda revealed there was a lot of work left to be done on the movie, which was slated for a U.S. release on 26 June.
“We were literally recording the score when all of this started happening,” he explained. “There’s a lot that remains to be done on that movie. We were finishing the score and the mixing and just getting the music exactly right.”
The Hamilton creator, who also stars in and is producing In the Heights, remained vague about whether the film would keep its current release date but made it clear his heart is set on it getting a theatrical run.
“I’m really hopeful that that’s something we all get to watch in the theatres together – when it’s time, and no sooner, to go out,” Miranda explained.
Most film and TV productions have shut down as a result of the outbreak due to social distancing measures instructing people to stay at home and avoid social contact with too many others.
Last week, Chris Meledandri, founder and chief executive of film and animation studio Illumination, revealed that animated sequel Minions: The Rise of Gru would no longer be released in July because his team are unable to continue working on the film.
© Cover Media
Anna Wintour has postponed the 2020 Met Gala in light of the coronavirus pandemic.The annual Costume Institute Gala was due to be held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City on 4 May, with the bash to celebrate the opening of the spring exh…
Anna Wintour has postponed the 2020 Met Gala in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
The annual Costume Institute Gala was due to be held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City on 4 May, with the bash to celebrate the opening of the spring exhibition titled About Time: Fashion and Duration.
However, regular co-chair and U.S. Vogue editor-in-chief Wintour announced in an article published on Vogue.com on Monday that the event would be delayed indefinitely.
“One day that will not arrive on schedule will be the opening of the Costume Institute’s exhibition, About Time,” she wrote. “Due to the unavoidable and responsible decision by the Metropolitan Museum to close its doors, About Time, and the opening night gala, will not take place on the date scheduled.”
Wintour added that fashion fans would be give a preview of the “extraordinary exhibition” in the May 2020 issue of Vogue.
While guests had not yet been announced, the evening’s co-chairs were to include Louis Vuitton’s Nicolas Ghesquiere and Hollywood stars Lin-Manuel Miranda, Emma Stone, and Meryl Streep.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art has been closed since last Thursday, with executives abiding by the recommendation from officials at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) that all gatherings of more than 50 people be suspended for the immediate future to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
Founded in 1948, the Met Gala was established as a way to raise money for the newly-founded Costume Institute. Over the course of the gala’s history, it has been cancelled twice – following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963, and in 2002, after the September 11 terrorist attacks.
© Cover Media
Ezra Miller is teaming with Saul Williams and Lin-Manuel Miranda on a sci-fi musical.The Justice League star and artist/actor Williams have formed a new production company, called MartyrLoserKin, via which they will develop Neptune Frost. Williams is s…
Ezra Miller is teaming with Saul Williams and Lin-Manuel Miranda on a sci-fi musical.
The Justice League star and artist/actor Williams have formed a new production company, called MartyrLoserKin, via which they will develop Neptune Frost. Williams is set to direct the project.
According to Deadline, the film will focus on an intersex African hacker, a miner, and the virtual marvel born as a result of their union
Neptune Frost will be the first offering from MartyrLoserKin, which Miller and Williams plan to use to “create and proliferate works that dismantle conventional cinematic ideological frameworks”.
“(Our projects will) synergistically naturalise into this industry more poetic, queer, explorative, anarchic, diverse, subversive, non-binary, aboriginal, environmental, ecological and esoterically conscious content that will speak to both the times in which we live and the forces that seek to restrict them,” they added in a statement.
The two collaborators will co-produce Neptune Frost, with Hamilton creator Miranda on board as an executive producer.
Pre-production is already underway in Rwanda.
The news comes as it was announced that Miranda’s Pulitzer Prize-winning musical Hamilton will be in cinemas across the world next year after producers landed a $75 million (£58 million) deal with Disney.
The film was shot in 2016, two weeks before the original cast left the Broadway show, and is based on three live performances.
Once Hamilton has had a cinematic release, it will then be added to the studio’s new streaming service, Disney+.
© Cover Media
Lin-Manuel Miranda is bringing his hit Broadway musical Hamilton to the big screen.The creator and former star of the stage production has revealed a filmed version of Hamilton has been optioned by Disney bosses and will be released in theatres in Octo…
Lin-Manuel Miranda is bringing his hit Broadway musical Hamilton to the big screen.
The creator and former star of the stage production has revealed a filmed version of Hamilton has been optioned by Disney bosses and will be released in theatres in October 2021.
The 160-minute film, helmed by the show’s director Thomas Kail, was shot at Broadway’s Richard Rodgers Theatre in 2016, two weeks before the original cast left, and will combine footage from three live performances and “the best elements of live theatre and film”.
“I’m so proud of what Tommy Kail has been able to capture in this filmed version of Hamilton – a live theatrical experience that feels just as immediate in your local movie theatre,” Miranda said in a statement. “We’re excited to partner with Disney to bring the original Broadway company of Hamilton to the largest audience possible.”
Disney chief Bob Iger added, “Lin-Manuel Miranda created an unforgettable theatre experience and a true cultural phenomenon, and it was for good reason that Hamilton was hailed as an astonishing work of art.
“All who saw it with the original cast will never forget that singular experience. And we’re thrilled to have the opportunity to share this same Broadway experience with millions of people around the world.”
In addition to Miranda, who portrayed lead character Alexander Hamilton, America’s founding father, the film version of Hamilton features a cast that includes Daveed Diggs, Leslie Odom Jr., Jonathan Groff, Phillipa Soo, and Renee Elise Goldsberry.
It’s not the only Miranda musical to get the movie treatment – the star has been working on recreating his In the Heights production as a new film. Directed by Jon M. Chu, the musical drama is due to open in cinemas this summer.
© Cover Media
In the Heights star Anthony Ramos had given up on acting until he saw the original Broadway production and decided to keep his career dreams alive.The Star Is Born actor headlines the upcoming film version of the musical, which was written by Lin-Manue…
In the Heights star Anthony Ramos had given up on acting until he saw the original Broadway production and decided to keep his career dreams alive.
The Star Is Born actor headlines the upcoming film version of the musical, which was written by Lin-Manuel Miranda and won four Tony Awards, including Best Musical, in 2008.
In an interview with People magazine, Ramos revealed his special connection to In the Heights.
“This show was the show I saw when I wanted to quit,” he said. “I remember my college was giving away tickets to this show, and it was closing and I hadn’t seen it yet. I went by myself and I sat in that seat, and it was the first time I saw a show where it was like, ‘Oh, I don’t only relate to these characters, I know them.'”
Of taking on the lead role of Usnavi, Ramos said he felt honoured to be portraying the character Miranda originated in the Broadway show.
“I felt a huge responsibility, but I also didn’t feel any pressure,” the 28-year-old added. “The fact that Lin trusted me with this role means more than you’ll ever know, bro. Ever.”
Ramos has known Miranda for years – he starred in the dual roles of John Laurens and Philip Hamilton in Miranda’s musical Hamilton, alongside the man himself in the lead role, when it first opened Off-Broadway, and remained with the musical blockbuster when it opened on the Great White Way in 2015.
Last year, he played Lady Gaga’s best friend in A Star Is Born and lead the film Monsters and Men. He appeared in Godzilla: King of the Monsters earlier this year.
The trailer for In the Heights, directed by Jon M. Chu, debuted online on Thursday. It is due to hit cinemas in June 2020.
© Cover Media
Nicolas Ghesquiere and Anna Wintour are among the co-chairs for the 2020 Met Gala.On Thursday, officials at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City announced that The Costume Institute’s spring 2020 exhibition will be centred on the theme of Ab…
Nicolas Ghesquiere and Anna Wintour are among the co-chairs for the 2020 Met Gala.
On Thursday, officials at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City announced that The Costume Institute’s spring 2020 exhibition will be centred on the theme of About Time: Fashion and Duration, and will be on view from 7 May until 7 September 2020.
In celebration of the opening, The Costume Institute Benefit, also known as the Met Gala, will take place on 4 May, with the evening’s co-chairs to include Ghesquiere, who is Louis Vuitton creative director for womenswear, U.S. Vogue editor-in-chief Wintour, as well as Hollywood stars Lin-Manuel Miranda, Emma Stone, and Meryl Streep.
The annual event is The Costume Institute’s main source of annual funding for exhibitions, publications, acquisitions, and capital improvements, and draws in a number of top fashion designers, models, and names from the entertainment industry.
Meanwhile, the exhibition will trace more than a century and a half of fashion, from 1870 to the present, as part of the museum’s 150th anniversary celebration. Employing philosopher Henri Bergson’s concept of “la duree”- time that flows, accumulates – representatives explained that they wanted to explore how clothes generate temporal associations that conflate the past, present, and future.
“Fashion is indelibly connected to time,” Andrew Bolton, the Wendy Yu curator in charge of The Costume Institute, said in a statement. “It not only reflects and represents the spirit of the times, but it also changes and develops with the times, serving as an especially sensitive and accurate timepiece. Through a series of chronologies, the exhibition will use the concept of duration to analyse the temporal twists and turns of fashion history.”
© Cover Media
Andrew Garfield is set to star in Lin-Manuel Miranda’s feature directorial debut on Netflix.The Hamilton creator is adapting Jonathan Larson’s autobiographical Off-Broadway show Tick, Tick…BOOM! for the streaming service and has cast the 36-year-old …
Andrew Garfield is set to star in Lin-Manuel Miranda’s feature directorial debut on Netflix.
The Hamilton creator is adapting Jonathan Larson’s autobiographical Off-Broadway show Tick, Tick…BOOM! for the streaming service and has cast the 36-year-old as his leading man.
The original musical documented the young playwright’s early career as he struggled to make it in New York City and became anxious as he dealt with his impending 30th birthday.
Larson went on to write the Pulitzer Prize-winning musical Rent, but tragically suffered a fatal stroke at age 35 in 1996, three months before the Broadway premiere of the now-iconic show.
He won three posthumous Tony Awards for Rent, which followed the stories of a group of young artists living in New York under the shadow of the HIV/AIDS epidemic, and the show went on to become the 11th longest-running show in Broadway history.
Miranda is producing alongside Oscar-winning director Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, and Julie Oh.
Steven Levenson, who penned the hugely successful Broadway musical Dear Evan Hanson – and also wrote the critically-acclaimed TV show Fosse/Verdon starring Michelle Williams – is adapting the script from Larson’s original stage show.
Garfield recently finished filming Gia Coppola’s romantic drama Mainstream, and the Brit is currently in production on the upcoming big-screen biopic The Eyes of Tammy Faye, in which he plays disgraced televangelist Jim Bakker alongside Jessica Chastain as his wife Tammy.
© Cover Media
Prabal Gurung has been named as the honorary fashion designer for the 2019 American Portrait Gala.The Nepalese-American designer is known for his use of bold colour and slogan T-shirts, with his clients including Jennifer Lawrence, Marion Cotillard, an…
Prabal Gurung has been named as the honorary fashion designer for the 2019 American Portrait Gala.
The Nepalese-American designer is known for his use of bold colour and slogan T-shirts, with his clients including Jennifer Lawrence, Marion Cotillard, and Gigi Hadid.
Now, officials from The Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C. have announced Gurung will be taking on a key role for the American Portrait Gala, set to take place on 17 November, and the 40-year-old could not be more thrilled.
“To say I am honoured, grateful and absolutely humbled to be the honorary fashion designer at this year’s @nationalportraitgallery @smithsoniannpg gala is an understatement,” he wrote on Instagram following the announcement. “For a boy from Nepal, who came to America 20 years ago as a student and an immigrant, with nothing but dreams, this is absolutely surreal. To be able to share the evening with my own personal heroines and heros (sic), I am absolutely humbled and eternally grateful. Thank you @nationalportraitgallery and @randi164 this means the world to me. Can’t wait for the gala.”
While Gurung’s gig as the honorary fashion designer has not been fully detailed, it is believed he will be outfitting organisers and presenters.
The biennial American Portrait Gala raises funds for the museum’s exhibitions endowment.
This year, museum officials have decided to award the Portrait of a Nation Prizes to chemical engineer Frances Arnold, Amazon boss Jeff Bezos, members of music group Earth, Wind & Fire, Hamilton’s Lin-Manuel Miranda, businesswoman Indra Nooyi, and U.S. Vogue’s Anna Wintour. Gayle King will serve as the gala’s host, while presenters include former U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama, Jeff Bezos’s son Preston, James Corden, and music producer Clive Davis.
© Cover Media
Terry Crews has urged film bosses at Disney to cast him as King Triton in the upcoming The Little Mermaid revamp. The live-action remake hit headlines last week when it was announced that Halle Bailey, from sibling R&B duo Chloe x Halle, would play Ar…
Terry Crews has urged film bosses at Disney to cast him as King Triton in the upcoming The Little Mermaid revamp.
The live-action remake hit headlines last week when it was announced that Halle Bailey, from sibling R&B duo Chloe x Halle, would play Ariel, news which led to much debate on social media, with some people praising her casting and others expressing outrage that an African-American would be portraying the mermaid, who was white in the 1989 animated version.
Crews has now put himself forward to play King Triton, Ariel’s father, by sharing an edited picture in which his top half has been Photoshopped onto a still of the underwater ruler.
“Ariel’s Dad!!!!” the Brooklyn Nine-Nine star captioned the picture, and followed it by joking, “Good thing I skip leg day because mermen don’t have legs!”
The 50-year-old isn’t the only star who has thrown his hat into the ring – singer Lizzo is so committed to playing sea witch Ursula in the movie she posted footage of herself dressed up as the octopus. However, editors at Variety recently reported that Bridesmaids star Melissa McCarthy is already in talks for the villainous role.
Besides Bailey, Ocean’s 8 star Awkwafina is set to portray Scuttle, a seagull character, while Room actor Jacob Tremblay is rumoured to be portraying Ariel’s fish friend Flounder.
The Little Mermaid reboot is being directed by Rob Marshall, who is known for musicals such as Chicago and Into the Woods. His Mary Poppins Returns writer David Magee is working on the screenplay, which is based on a tale by Hans Christian Andersen, with Kingsman: The Secret Service’s Jane Goldman.
Lin-Manuel Miranda will be producing and working on the music with Disney veteran Alan Menken.
© Cover Media