The Hunt receives new release date

Controversial film The Hunt will be finally be released in cinemas in March.Universal executives paused the marketing campaign for the satirical thriller, which follows a group of liberal elites who try to track down and kill conservatives for sport, i…

Controversial film The Hunt will be finally be released in cinemas in March.

Universal executives paused the marketing campaign for the satirical thriller, which follows a group of liberal elites who try to track down and kill conservatives for sport, in August last year following mass shootings in Texas and Ohio.

Soon after, they decided to shelve its September release altogether due to the controversy, which made further headlines after U.S. President Trump tweeted that the political satire was made to “inflame and cause chaos”.

On Tuesday, Universal bosses relaunched their marketing campaign for the film, releasing a brand-new poster and distinctively different trailer which features the words, “The most talked-about movie of the year is one nobody’s seen yet… this March, decide for yourself.”

They have also screened the film for a bunch of journalists, with producer Jason Blum explaining to Variety that the reporting on the controversy last year was inaccurate because nobody had seen it.

“We felt like everybody got it wrong because no one had seen the movie,” he said. “It was the most talked-about movie that no one has ever seen. So, what both of us were very eager for people to see the movie and realise that the movie is 100 per cent satire and pokes fun at both sides equally. We wanted to see that represented in what people were writing about, but again, they couldn’t because no one had seen it.”

When asked why March was the right time to release it, co-writer and producer Damon Lindelof replied, “As more and more people start to see it, we’ve gained confidence in the fact that this is not a dangerous movie. This is not a provocative movie. This is not a divisive movie. I think the big shift between now and then is that more people have seen it and they’ve responded positively.”

The Hunt, which stars Hilary Swank, Betty Gilpin, and Emma Roberts, will be released in U.S. cinemas on 13 March.

© Cover Media

Prabal Gurung pulls out of venue for New York Fashion Week show

Prabal Gurung has scrapped the location of his New York Fashion Week show in protest over President Trump supporter Stephen Ross.Real estate mogul Ross is the chairman and founder of Related Companies, the firm that owns the Hudson Yards mixed-use comp…

Prabal Gurung has scrapped the location of his New York Fashion Week show in protest over President Trump supporter Stephen Ross.

Real estate mogul Ross is the chairman and founder of Related Companies, the firm that owns the Hudson Yards mixed-use complex in New York City.

Gurung was in negotiations to hold his 10-year anniversary show at Hudson Yards’ Vessel – a sculpture of interconnecting flights of stairs – during New York Fashion Week in September.

However, a backlash erupted after Ross announced he was hosting a fundraising luncheon at his Hamptons home for President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign for 2020.

People have called for a boycott of businesses and properties tied to Ross – including Equinox gyms and SoulCycle – in protest of his support of the controversial Republican, and now Gurung has taken a stand.

The designer took to Twitter to announce he was pulling out of the show at Hudsons Yards, and told his followers that he was prompted to make the decision due to the “turbulent and dangerous” political and social climate in the U.S.

“This is about choosing between two sides, the right or the wrong sides of the history,” the 40-year-old stated, before adding that he was simply questioning “these individuals whose motivation seems to be nothing but $$$”.

Gurung said that he was keen to partner with the Hudson Vessel for his show, but once he found out about Ross’ fundraiser for Trump, he had no choice but to pull out.

“Removing our brand and selves from this is my choice and that is my decision. I am not expecting anyone else to do it, however it was the right thing to do, for ME, and I do want to speak out to create transparency and awareness,” he concluded.

Spring Studios remains the official venue for New York Fashion Week, which kicks off 6 September.

© Cover Media