Tom Hanks to resume filming on Elvis Presley biopic in October

Tom Hanks is expecting to head back to Australia in October to resume filming Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis Presley biopic.The currently-untitled project, in which the Oscar-winning actor will play Elvis’ manager Colonel Tom Parker, had been in pre-production b…

Tom Hanks is expecting to head back to Australia in October to resume filming Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis Presley biopic.

The currently-untitled project, in which the Oscar-winning actor will play Elvis’ manager Colonel Tom Parker, had been in pre-production back in March, when the Queensland shoot was shut down after Hanks and his wife, Rita Wilson, both tested positive for the coronavirus.

They were briefly hospitalised and quarantined while they recovered, before returning to their home in Los Angeles, where they have been donating plasma to help medical researchers find a cure.

Last month, director Luhrmann was revealed to be in advanced discussions with Australian government officials about a restart date, and now Hanks has revealed they are aiming to resume filming in three months.

“There is certainly a plan and a desire from the studio’s perspective and from everybody else involved in the movie to figure out a way to make it happen,” Hanks explained in a video call with a reporter from the Sydney Morning Herald.

“There are dates on the calendar that say maybe we will be making this movie in October, but all of that stuff is a ‘maybe’ as questions about quarantine and temperatures and sterilising soundstages and all of that go on.”

However, Australian Trade Minister Simon Birmingham announced that the country’s borders would remain closed to travellers from overseas for “quite some distance off” in an effort to contain the Covid-19 outbreak.

Luhrmann’s musical biopic, also starring Austin Butler as Elvis, is scheduled to be released in November 2021.

© Cover Media

Baz Luhrmann in talks to start shooting Elvis biopic after Tom Hanks’ Covid-19 battle

Baz Luhrmann has met with Australian officials to discuss shooting his Elvis Presley biopic.The Moulin Rouge! director was four days away from filming the movie at the Village Roadshow Studios on the Gold Coast when production was shut down in March af…

Baz Luhrmann has met with Australian officials to discuss shooting his Elvis Presley biopic.

The Moulin Rouge! director was four days away from filming the movie at the Village Roadshow Studios on the Gold Coast when production was shut down in March after Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson tested positive for the Covid-19 virus.

Annastacia Palaszczuk, the Premier of Queensland, told reporters at a press conference on Thursday that she had been in talks with Luhrmann to discuss starting up production.

“We want to ensure that this can happen as soon as possible while making sure that the cast and crew can operate safely,” Palaszcuk said, according to the Sydney Morning Herald. “Screen Queensland and Queensland Health are also currently developing a screen industry Covid safe plan that will be released shortly, paving the way for the whole sector to get rolling cameras again and crew back to work on sets.”

In March, Luhrmann stated that he would look to resume shooting in Australia “as soon as the time is right”.

“Please know this is in no way a reflection on our commitment to make this movie here in Queensland. In fact, we are not even taking our sets down, simply locking up the creative space over the next few days,” he explained in a statement shared on social media. “All going well, we have a passionate conviction to be back here on the Gold Coast, picking up where we leave off as soon as the time is right.”

Austin Butler will portray Elvis alongside Hanks as his manager, Colonel Tom Parker, in the as-yet untitled biopic, which will explore the singer’s relationship with his controversial manager.

© Cover Media

Adele shows off incredible transformation in rare social media post

Adele has showed off her incredible transformation in a new social media post to mark her 32nd birthday.The Hello singer took to Instagram on Wednesday to upload a picture of herself posing in a black, high-neck minidress with puffball sleeves while st…

Adele has showed off her incredible transformation in a new social media post to mark her 32nd birthday.

The Hello singer took to Instagram on Wednesday to upload a picture of herself posing in a black, high-neck minidress with puffball sleeves while standing in front of a giant floral arch outside of her home in Los Angeles.

In the accompanying caption, Adele thanked her fans for their well wishes and also took the time to acknowledge essential healthcare workers on the frontline during the global coronavirus pandemic.

“Thank you for the birthday love. I hope you’re all staying safe and sane during this crazy time,” she wrote. “I’d like to thank all of our first responders and essential workers who are keeping us safe while risking their lives! You are truly our angels. 2020 okay bye thanks x.”

Famous followers including designers Riccardo Tisci and Virgil Abloh, Lil Nas X, Jameela Jamil, and Rita Wilson were quick to wish the Someone Like You hitmaker a happy birthday in the comments on the post, which has already amassed almost two million likes.

And Chrissy Teigen was one of the first to note the mother-of-one’s total body transformation, with Adele having reportedly lost around seven stone (44 kilograms).

“I mean are you kidding me,” the model and cookbook author quipped, while Oprah Winfrey pressed the British star for new music this year: “Our birthday gift should be an Adele 2020 album, yes?!”

The Oscar winner split from her husband, Simon Konecki, in April last year.

© Cover Media

Baz Luhrmann was days away from shooting Elvis Presley biopic when production shut down

Baz Luhrmann was four days away from shooting his Elvis Presley biopic when production shut down after Tom Hanks tested positive for the Covid-19 virus. The Oscar-winning actor was in Australia with his wife Rita Wilson preparing to start filming Elvi…

Baz Luhrmann was four days away from shooting his Elvis Presley biopic when production shut down after Tom Hanks tested positive for the Covid-19 virus.

The Oscar-winning actor was in Australia with his wife Rita Wilson preparing to start filming Elvis, in which he plays the rock ‘n’ roll star’s longtime manager Colonel Tom Parker, when they both tested positive for the virus in March and were quarantined in hospital.

In an interview with Deadline, Elvis director Luhrmann revealed that the team, including Austin Butler as Presley, had been in rehearsals when the tests came back positive and they shut down immediately that day, only four days away from shooting.

“I was four days out from shooting. I had built the Vegas showroom, the International which became the Hilton, and you know that famous scene where Elvis is playing that showroom?” he explained, referring to when Presley was mobbed and kissed by dozens of fans. “We were rehearsing camera positioning, everything, and I’d done all the tests, Austin, Tom, and the whole cast was on fire. We were that close.”

The Moulin Rouge! filmmaker revealed they were in the middle of rehearsing that scene when his producer came in to tell him about Hanks.

“So, I’m getting ready to begin shooting on a Monday, and I’m rehearsing the scene where we’ve built the Vegas showroom, and Tom guides in Austin as Elvis, and it’s a scene where basically hundreds of girls are kissing Elvis, in a ’70s show,” Luhrmann recalled. “Tom guides him through the crowd. All of a sudden, I see my producer, Patrick McCormick on the set… You and the world knows what happened next.”

The crew used the footage to help track down anyone who had been in contact with Hanks and they all had to quarantine for 14 days. They were tested and it turned out “we never had one more infection in the entire crew”.

Hanks and Wilson are now recovered from the virus and are back home in the U.S. They have donated some blood to help create a vaccine.

© Cover Media

Salma Hayek used to do her friends’ make-up as a teenager

Salma Hayek used her friends as “clients” when mastering her make-up skills as a teenager.The actress appears barefaced in a photoshoot for People magazine’s 2020 Beautiful Issue, with the publication also featuring Rita Wilson, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Sa…

Salma Hayek used her friends as “clients” when mastering her make-up skills as a teenager.

The actress appears barefaced in a photoshoot for People magazine’s 2020 Beautiful Issue, with the publication also featuring Rita Wilson, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Sarah Paulson.

Opening up about her lifelong love of cosmetics, Salma explained that even in her early teenage years, she used to sneak behind her parents’ backs and experiment with products.

“I started wearing make-up at 14 but tried to pretend that I wasn’t wearing it because I was not allowed,” the Frida star recalled. “I would clean the brush of the mascara and very lightly pass it over my lashes, I would put some sheer lipsticks on and then dab it off and rub it on my cheeks. Always making sure there was no glitter in it.

“I actually started putting make-up on others when I was 13. I had a lot of ‘clients’… I have to say, I was quite good.”

However, Salma admitted that, over the years, she’s laid off the products a little – and it’s helped her to love herself for who she really is.

“When I look at pictures of me in my 30 or in my 40s, I see myself more beautiful than I saw myself at the time,” the 53-year-old mused. “I used to criticise myself so much. Now when I look in the mirror and there are things that I don’t see, I think about how much I’m going to like me in 10 years.”

Now, Salma enjoys the “sense of just being present without needing to impress anyone”.

© Cover Media

Rita Wilson poses barefaced for magazine photoshoot

Rita Wilson has posed barefaced for People magazine’s 2020 The Beautiful Issue.Alongside all-natural images of herself with glowing, cosmetics-free skin, the actress/singer spoke to the publication about how she has embraced a simpler beauty regime sin…

Rita Wilson has posed barefaced for People magazine’s 2020 The Beautiful Issue.

Alongside all-natural images of herself with glowing, cosmetics-free skin, the actress/singer spoke to the publication about how she has embraced a simpler beauty regime since recovering from the coronavirus.

Back in March, Wilson suffered from a severe case of Covid-19 while travelling in Australia with her husband Tom Hanks, with the couple forced to quarantine for two weeks before returning home to Los Angeles.

“I love going to bed at night and not having to do a whole routine of taking off eye make-up with a remover and scrub,” she mused. “It’s a little bit easier just getting into bed… I wash my face and I put on whatever moisturiser is near me.”

The Mamma Mia! producer went on to note that she didn’t wear much make-up growing up as her mother didn’t tend to.

“I got really used to her face without make-up. And I think that there’s something beautiful about that,” the 63-year-old reflected. “Really if nobody wore make-up then we’d all be in the same world.”

Elsewhere in the interview, Wilson said the coronavirus crisis had opened her eyes to new perspectives: “The things that we have associated before with beauty, which are sometimes the superficial things, those will always be there. But I think there’s something about seeing the beauty in the everyday occurrences that you may not have paid attention to before.”

Salma Hayek, Sarah Paulson, and Gwyneth Paltrow also appear make-up-free in People magazine’s The Beautiful Issue.

© Cover Media

Rita Wilson regrets getting Botox and lip fillers in the ’90s

Rita Wilson regrets getting Botox injections and lip fillers in the late 1990s.In an interview with British newspaper The Guardian, the actress/singer candidly opened up about her experiences with cosmetic procedures, noting she felt pressured by the h…

Rita Wilson regrets getting Botox injections and lip fillers in the late 1990s.

In an interview with British newspaper The Guardian, the actress/singer candidly opened up about her experiences with cosmetic procedures, noting she felt pressured by the high beauty standards in Hollywood to get the injections.

Explaining that she first tried Botox before filming the 1999 romantic comedy Runaway Bride, starring Julia Roberts and Richard Gere, Rita recalled that she was shocked to see how her forehead didn’t move at all when she was watching the film for the first time.

“When I was making Runaway Bride, I had Botox, because Botox was new and everyone was getting Botox, and I got it in my forehead,” she told the publication. “But then I saw this movie, and there’s this emotional scene where I’m firing Richard Gere and my forehead didn’t move. I thought: ‘Well, that’s not working!'”

Rita then revealed that she also dabbled with lip fillers. However, she vowed never to try them again after she came home and her two sons Chester and Truman, who shares with husband Tom Hanks, made fun of her.

“I tried the lip fillers around that same period of time, and one day I came home and my kids laughed at me, and I thought: ‘OK, that’s that!'” the 63-year-old laughed.

Rita is now comfortable embracing the ageing process and insisted she doesn’t “care that much” anymore.

“Part of it is my mom rarely wore make-up and I loved seeing her face evolve over time with me. I want my kids to look at the face that they know and understand that it’s just me,” she stated. “Everyone has their vanity but, how to put this? I… just… don’t care that much!”

© Cover Media

Baz Luhrmann determined to resume production on Elvis biopic ‘as soon as the time is right’

Baz Luhrmann is determined to resume production on his Elvis Presley biopic “as soon as the time is right”.Filming on the highly-anticipated movie shut down in Australia after leading man Tom Hanks, who plays the music icon’s manager Colonel Tom Parker…

Baz Luhrmann is determined to resume production on his Elvis Presley biopic “as soon as the time is right”.

Filming on the highly-anticipated movie shut down in Australia after leading man Tom Hanks, who plays the music icon’s manager Colonel Tom Parker in the flick, was diagnosed with the coronavirus.

The Oscar-winning actor is now recovering in an Australian hotel, alongside wife Rita Wilson, who also has the virus, but director Baz has refused to re-open the set, with him telling fans that it is “not the moment to be resuming production on the film”.

“Please know this is in no way a reflection on our commitment to make this movie here in Queensland. In fact, we are not even taking our sets down, simply locking up the creative space over the next few days,” he explained in a statement shared on social media. “All going well, we have a passionate conviction to be back here on the Gold Coast, picking up where we leave off as soon as the time is right.”

It’s not yet known if the October 2021 release date of the biopic, which is set to focus on Presley, played by Austin Butler, and his relationship with his manager, will be affected.

Many films have halted production or had their release date postponed to the Covid-19 outbreak. On Thursday, it was announced that animated sequel Minions: The Rise Of Gru would no longer be released in July due to the pandemic.

Chris Meledandri, founder and chief executive of film and animation studio Illumination, said that in response to the strict lockdown imposed on the country, he would be closing the studios indefinitely.

“This means we will be unable to finish Minions: The Rise Of Gru in time for our planned global releases,” he said in a statement.

© Cover Media

Elvis Presley biopic halted following Tom Hanks’ coronavirus diagnosis

Production on Tom Hanks’ upcoming Elvis Presley movie has been halted after the actor and his wife Rita Wilson tested positive for the coronavirus.The 63-year-old took to social media on Thursday to tell fans that he and Rita were in isolation in Austr…

Production on Tom Hanks’ upcoming Elvis Presley movie has been halted after the actor and his wife Rita Wilson tested positive for the coronavirus.

The 63-year-old took to social media on Thursday to tell fans that he and Rita were in isolation in Australia, upon the advice of medical officials.

“Rita and I are down here in Australia. We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches,” he wrote on Twitter and Instagram. “Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive.”

The Oscar winner was in Australia for pre-production on director Baz Luhrmann’s upcoming film about Elvis, in which Tom is set to star as the rocker’s manager Colonel Tom Parker.

However, following Tom and Rita’s diagnosis, production on the movie has come to a temporary halt.

“We have been made aware that a company member from our Elvis feature film, which is currently in pre-production in The Gold Coast, Australia, has tested positive for COVID-19 (coronavirus),” a Warner Bros. spokesperson said in a statement. “We are working closely with the appropriate Australian health agencies to identify and contact anyone who may have come in direct contact with the individual. The health and safety of our company members is always our top priority, and we are taking precautions to protect everyone who works on our productions around the world. The individual who tested positive for COVID-19 is currently receiving treatment.”

It’s unclear at this stage whether Tom’s co-stars, including Austin Butler, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Rufus Sewell, have been tested for the virus.

© Cover Media

Rita Wilson hits Golden Globes red carpet after glam squad drama

Rita Wilson wowed on the red carpet at the 2020 Golden Globes on Sunday night even though her glam squad was late.The actress/singer, whose husband Tom Hanks was honoured with the prestigious Cecil B. DeMille Award during the ceremony, had to rethink h…

Rita Wilson wowed on the red carpet at the 2020 Golden Globes on Sunday night even though her glam squad was late.

The actress/singer, whose husband Tom Hanks was honoured with the prestigious Cecil B. DeMille Award during the ceremony, had to rethink her preparations for the bash after the person she had hired to do her hair and make-up was very late.

“What you look like when your hair and make-up person for the @goldenglobes is one and a half hours late even though you booked him in September,” she captioned a make-up-free selfie on her Instagram page. “Will leave one hour to do hair and make-up.”

Rita later added: “Hair and make-up still not here. Trying to be zen.”

Accordingly, the star’s celebrity followers soon began commenting on her post.

“Omg I feel u (you),” wrote Julianne Moore, while Sarah Paulson insisted, “Been there and no thanks please – you look gorgeous anyway,” and Kate Bosworth added: “Oh that’s the craziest feeling, you look gorgeous anyway though.”

Yet, Rita’s posts prompted a curious Chrissy Teigen to try and dig for a little more information about the no-show stylist, as she replied, “I cannot go on until I know who, I have no life.”

The 63-year-old has not yet responded to the TV personality’s tweet.

But in spite of the last-minute drama, Rita made it to the celebration on time and looked very glamorous in a bronze sequin Tom Ford gown. Her husband Tom also wore a tuxedo from the designer, with the Hollywood couple joined by their sons Chet and Truman, as well as the A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood star’s son Colin and daughter Elizabeth from his previous marriage, on the red carpet.

© Cover Media