Controversial Victoria’s Secret executive Ed Razek is leaving the company as rumours continue to swirl about the status of the 2019 show.
Razek, the chief marketing officer of Victoria’s Secret’s parent company, L Brands, announced he was retiring from the role in an internal memo sent to employees by L Brands chairman and chief executive Les Wexner on Monday.
In the memo, cited by publications including The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times, Razek wrote, “A few weeks ago, I shared with Les my desire to retire sometime around mid August. It was a tough conversation to have because, as some of you must know, we have shared so much together for so many years, including a deep love of this business. Still, it’s time.”
The 71-year-old, who joined the company in 1983, caused controversy last year when he said in an interview with Vogue.com that there was no place for transgender models in the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show.
“Shouldn’t you have transsexuals in the show? No. No, I don’t think we should. Well, why not? Because the show is a fantasy,” Razek stated, and later apologised for his “insensitive” remarks.
He said later in the interview that he had considered casting plus-sized models in the annual fashion spectacle but decided against doing so because the company “did not market to the whole world”.
News of his departure comes just one day after Valentina Sampaio became the first transgender model to represent the company – she will be working with the lingerie brand’s athletic line, VS Pink.
And last week, Victoria’s Secret Angel Shanina Shaik claimed the annual fashion event had been cancelled for 2019.
“I’m sure they’re trying to work on branding and new ways to do the show because it’s the best show in the world,” the 28-year-old told Australia’s The Daily Telegraph.
Her comments are yet to be confirmed or denied.
© Cover Media