David Thewlis felt out of his depth shooting Avatar 2

David Thewlis felt “like a newcomer” filming Avatar 2 because he wasn’t used to working with motion capture technology. The Harry Potter actor was classically trained at stage school and has been working in film for more than 30 years, but all his exp…

David Thewlis felt “like a newcomer” filming Avatar 2 because he wasn’t used to working with motion capture technology.

The Harry Potter actor was classically trained at stage school and has been working in film for more than 30 years, but all his experience went out the window when he arrived to shoot the performance capture portion of James Cameron’s Avatar sequel in 2018 because he had no idea what he was doing.

“For the first time, I felt like a total newcomer, like it was my first job,” he told Total Film magazine. “I was on set having been working for 35 years on film sets and I was like, ‘So what do we do? What’s that doing here? Why is he doing that? Do we do it now?’ I felt very naive. And of course, I was, because none of the rules applied from everything I’ve learned.”

Cameron and his team had to develop brand-new technology that could blend underwater filming and performance capture as the majority of Avatar 2 is set underwater.

And Thewlis, who is playing an unknown member of the Na’vi race, admitted he is clueless about what he will look like in the finished product.

“I’ve got no idea what my scenes will be like because there are about 16 guys in the room with video cameras but they’re just shooting reference shots for Jim (Cameron) to look at later,” the 57-year-old said. “What those guys are shooting will never be on the screen, what’s being shot is obviously on these sensors… I’m fascinated to see how I’m going to look, because they sort of make them look a bit like oneself. It’s fantastic!”

The motion capture segment was completed at the end of 2018, and the live-action scenes were due to be shot in New Zealand this spring, but production was halted as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. Earlier this week, Cameron and producer Jon Landau announced they had arrived in the country to begin filming, following a two-week quarantine period.

Thewlis, Kate Winslet, and Vin Diesel are new additions to the franchise, which features Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, and Sigourney Weaver. Avatar 2 is still scheduled to hit cinemas in December 2021.

© Cover Media

Avatar cast and crew returning to New Zealand to resume filming

The cast and crew of James Cameron’s Avatar sequels are heading back to New Zealand to resume filming.Production on the movies, starring Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, and Sigourney Weaver, was shut down indefinitely in March due to the ongoing coronavi…

The cast and crew of James Cameron’s Avatar sequels are heading back to New Zealand to resume filming.

Production on the movies, starring Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, and Sigourney Weaver, was shut down indefinitely in March due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

And as producer Jon Landau took to social media on Thursday to reveal a new image of water vessels used in the movie, he confirmed that filming would begin again later this month.

“Our Avatar sets are ready – and we couldn’t be more excited to be headed back to New Zealand next week,” he wrote. “Check out the Matador, a high-speed forward command vessel (bottom) and the Picador jetboat (top) – can’t wait to share more.”

The Avatar sequels will be the first major films to resume production after almost all Hollywood movies were shut down in an effort to stop the spread of the virus, which has infected more than five million people worldwide since the outbreak began in December.

Filming the latest instalments in the sci-fi fantasy drama had alternated between studios in Auckland and Wellington, according to editors at Variety.

Staff at visual effects firm Weta Digital, which is based in Wellington, continued to work on the sequels during the shutdown.

Avatar 2, which also features Kate Winslet, Vin Diesel, David Thewlis, and Michelle Yeoh, is due to be released in December 2021, with three more sequels slated to hit cinemas in 2023, 2025, and 2027.

© Cover Media

James Cameron remains hopeful Avatar 2 will be released in December 2021

James Cameron is hopeful Avatar 2 will be ready for release in December 2021 despite the coronavirus pandemic delaying production. The Terminator director has been working on follow-ups to the 2009 sci-fi movie for the past few years and completed the…

James Cameron is hopeful Avatar 2 will be ready for release in December 2021 despite the coronavirus pandemic delaying production.

The Terminator director has been working on follow-ups to the 2009 sci-fi movie for the past few years and completed the motion capture portion of production on Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 last year. He was about to fly to New Zealand to shoot the live-action scenes when the coronavirus pandemic hit and production was shut down.

However, despite the setback, Cameron is optimistic he can still make the film’s scheduled cinema release of 17 December 2021.

“It’s putting a major crimp in our stride here,” he told Empire magazine. “I want to get back to work on Avatar, which right now we’re not allowed to do under state emergency laws or rules. So, it’s all on hold right now. We were about to shoot down in New Zealand, so that got pushed. We’re trying to get back to it as quick as we can.

“On the bright side, New Zealand seems to have been very effective in controlling the virus and their goal is not mitigation, but eradication, which they believe that they can do with aggressive contact tracing and testing. There’s a very good chance that our shoot might be delayed a couple of months, but we can still (release it on schedule). So that’s good news.”

Cameron added that digital effects teams are continuing to work on the feature from home, while he has been able to do some editing.

Fortunately for the filmmaker, officials at the New Zealand Film Commission recently announced that productions in the country would be allowed to start filming again this month given the reduced spread of Covid-19.

Original Avatar stars Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, and Sigourney Weaver are all set to return for the sequel, while new additions include Kate Winslet and Vin Diesel.

© Cover Media

Dior incites call for female solidarity with fall 20 collection

Dior has incited a call for female solidarity with its latest fashion collection.Creative director Maria Grazia Chiuri unveiled her fall/winter 2020 line at the Jardin des Tuileries as part of Paris Fashion Week on Tuesday, with the presentation attrac…

Dior has incited a call for female solidarity with its latest fashion collection.

Creative director Maria Grazia Chiuri unveiled her fall/winter 2020 line at the Jardin des Tuileries as part of Paris Fashion Week on Tuesday, with the presentation attracting celebrities such as Sigourney Weaver, Andie MacDowell, Cara Delevingne, Demi Moore, Nina Dobrev, Rachel Brosnahan, Karlie Kloss, and Alexa Chung.

The entrance to the space was decorated with a sign featuring the ambiguous phrase “I Say I”, a reference to the work of collective feminist artist Claire Fontaine as well as the introduction to the manifesto of art critic-turned-feminist activist Carla Lonzi. In addition, illuminated signs with slogans such as “Consent,” “Women’s Love is Unpaid Labour,” “Women are the Moon that Moves the Tides,” and “Patriarchy Kills Love,” were installed in the venue.

“They are the symbol of a joyful singularity, as well as a creative and collective way of approaching the multiple aspects of feminine subjectivity – and the infinite project that femininity represents,” a Dior representative explained of the concept.

To begin, the spectacle kicked off with model Ruth Bell walking the runway in a black suit, white shirt, black tie, fishnet tights, and Mary Jane-style flats.

A number of black outfits followed, with the looks toughened up via the addition of bandanas, tights, and combat boots. Elsewhere, a ’70s vibe was evident in long, embroidered dresses, miniskirts, and pleats and fringe detailing, while Chiuri also drew upon former creative director Marc Bohan’s use of check fabric in his designs during his 30-year-old stint at the French house, as well as founder Christian Dior’s love of the fabric.

To conclude, the designer offered up a selection of chic separates, with highlights including striped metallic gowns, Grecian-inspired dresses with finely pleated skirts and drapery, as well as relaxed takes on classic menswear tailoring and suits.

© Cover Media

Melanie Griffith was forced to pay $80,000 after arriving intoxicated to Working Girl set

Melanie Griffith had to pay $80,000 (£60,000) to cover the cost of production delays caused by her showing up to the Working Girl set intoxicated.The actress recalled how her battle with alcohol and drugs affected the production of the Mike Nichols-di…

Melanie Griffith had to pay $80,000 (£60,000) to cover the cost of production delays caused by her showing up to the Working Girl set intoxicated.

The actress recalled how her battle with alcohol and drugs affected the production of the Mike Nichols-directed 1988 romantic comedy, which also starred Harrison Ford and Sigourney Weaver, for the new book, Life Isn’t Everything: Mike Nichols, as Remembered by 150 of His Closest Friends.

“There were a lot of things that happened on Working Girl that I did that were not right,” Griffith shared. “It was the late ’80s (and) there was a lot going on, party-wise, in New York. There was a lot of cocaine. There was a lot of temptation.”

One day, the 62-year-old got drunk as she played pool with her co-star Alec Baldwin and continued to drink alcohol in her motorhome once she had returned to set. She was subsequently unable to walk down some stairs in a scene with Baldwin.

“Mike got so mad at me, he wouldn’t talk to me. Mike Haley, the first AD (assistant director), just came up and said, ‘We’re shutting down. Go home’, and I knew I was in so much trouble.

“The next morning, he took me to breakfast and said, ‘Here’s what’s going to happen: You’re going to pay for last night out of your pocket. We’re not going to report you to the studio, but you have to pay for what it cost’, and it was $80,000. They wanted to get my attention – and they really did. It was a very humbling, embarrassing experience, but I learned a lot from it.”

Producer Douglas Wick added that Nichols, who passed away in 2014 at the age of 83, was “genuinely distressed” by the drama.

“I was surprised by how genuinely distressed he was, how in pain about it he was, how much he was traumatised by it, and I think the reason is that it made great work impossible,” he recalled.

Griffith checked into a rehab facility just a few weeks after the film wrapped. She ended up returning to rehab in 2000 and again in 2009.

© Cover Media

Sigourney Weaver and Kevin Kline to reunite for The Good House

Sigourney Weaver and Kevin Kline are set to reunite onscreen in the movie adaptation of Ann Leary’s bestselling novel The Good House. The Alien actress and A Fish Called Wanda star, who previously appeared onscreen together in 1993 comedy Dave and the …

Sigourney Weaver and Kevin Kline are set to reunite onscreen in the movie adaptation of Ann Leary’s bestselling novel The Good House.

The Alien actress and A Fish Called Wanda star, who previously appeared onscreen together in 1993 comedy Dave and the 1997 drama The Ice Storm, are set to team up once again to lead the adaptation of Leary’s 2004 novel.

Executives at Amblin Partners, the entertainment company co-founded by Steven Spielberg, announced the movie on Monday and revealed that production on the movie would begin in Canada this week.

According to their release, The Good House follows Weaver’s character Hildy Good, an alcoholic New England realtor and descendant of the Salem witches, who loves her wine and her secrets. Her life starts to unravel as she rekindles an old romance and becomes dangerously entwined in one person’s reckless behaviour.

The film will be directed by Maya Forbes, who has previously helmed Infinitely Polar Bear and The Polka King, and her husband, Seeing Other People filmmaker Wally Wolodarsky, from a script they co-wrote based on Leary’s novel.

An adaptation of the book has been in production for years, and in 2013, it was announced that Meryl Streep and Robert De Niro would star in the film.

Three-time Oscar nominee Weaver will next be seen reprising her role as Dr. Grace Augustine in James Cameron’s Avatar sequels and will also be seen in Ghostbusters 2020, in which she will once again appear as Dana Barrett, who she previously portrayed in the 1984 original and its 1989 sequel.

Kline will next be seen in Jackie Chan’s directorial effort, The Diary, as well as The Starling, alongside Melissa McCarthy.

© Cover Media

Dan Aykroyd confirms role in upcoming Ghostbusters sequel

Dan Aykroyd is officially set to revisit the Ghostbusters franchise for director Jason Reitman’s upcoming sequel.Of late, it has been rumoured that several original cast members were in talks to reprise their roles in the film, which is set to be relea…

Dan Aykroyd is officially set to revisit the Ghostbusters franchise for director Jason Reitman’s upcoming sequel.

Of late, it has been rumoured that several original cast members were in talks to reprise their roles in the film, which is set to be released next year, and now Aykroyd has thrilled fans by confirming the news he is set to bring back beloved character Ray Stantz.

“I’m not in the pictures so much anymore. We’ve got the Ghostbusters movie that we’re working on now and I will have to be performing in that,” Aykroyd said in an interview on The Joe Rogan Experience podcast. “(Original Ghostbusters director) Ivan Reitman’s son Jason has written a new movie called, well, it’s gonna be Ghostbusters, the third movie. It will be all, most of the original people and then young stars.”

The instalment also features Carrie Coon, Captain Marvel star Mckenna Grace, Stranger Things cast member Finn Wolfhard, and Paul Rudd.

Aykroyd and fellow original cast members Sigourney Weaver, Bill Murray, and Ernie Hudson all had cameos in Paul Feig’s 2016 reboot of the comedy, which starred Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones.

Back in February, Reitman seemingly criticised the female-led reboot by commenting that his follow-up to the 1984 original will “hand the movie back to fans”.

“I’m not making the Juno of Ghostbusters movies,” the filmmaker said during an episode of Bill Burr’s Monday Morning Podcast. “This is gonna be a love letter to Ghostbusters… I want to make a movie for my fellow Ghostbusters fans.”

However, he later took to Twitter to clarify his comments, and said he had “nothing but admiration for Paul and Leslie and Kate and Melissa and Kristen”.

© Cover Media

Paul Rudd to star in new Ghostbusters movie

Paul Rudd has officially joined the cast of the upcoming Ghostbusters movie.The Ant-Man star unveiled the news in a video posted to the official Twitter account for the film on Thursday, with the footage showing him stood in front of the iconic Ghostbu…

Paul Rudd has officially joined the cast of the upcoming Ghostbusters movie.

The Ant-Man star unveiled the news in a video posted to the official Twitter account for the film on Thursday, with the footage showing him stood in front of the iconic Ghostbusters headquarters in New York.

Noting he “loved” the original movies, Paul went on to explain that he was thrilled to be cast in the star-studded project by director Jason Reitman.

“When I heard that Jason Reitman was going to be doing a new version in the fall… my agent called (him) and said, ‘Hey Jason, we hear there’s a part of a young, semi-young strapping man, that needs to be cast, who you gonna call?'” the 50-year-old stated, referring to the famous line from the movie. “When I heard they were going to call me, well as you can imagine, I nearly slimed myself. I can’t wait to join the cast this fall for Ghostbusters. In fact, I’m sliming myself right now.”

The clip was captioned, “Look who accepted the call. #GB20.”

The Leftovers actress Carrie Coon, Stranger Things star Finn Wolfhard, and child actress Mckenna Grace have also been attached to parts in the movie, while original castmembers Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, and Sigourney Weaver may make appearances too.

The Juno moviemaker is directing and co-writing the next instalment of the Ghostbusters franchise, following on from the 1984 and 1989 films directed by his father Ivan Reitman.

The sequel, which will be produced by Ivan, will be released by Sony Pictures in summer 2020 and is due to begin filming soon, with the script co-written by Gil Kenan.

© Cover Media