Victoria Beckham reverses decision to use government scheme to furlough staff

Victoria Beckham has reversed the decision to use a government scheme to furlough staff at her label.Last month, the fashion designer was heavily criticised when she and board members moved to furlough 30 of her 120 staff for at least two months, which…

Victoria Beckham has reversed the decision to use a government scheme to furlough staff at her label.

Last month, the fashion designer was heavily criticised when she and board members moved to furlough 30 of her 120 staff for at least two months, which would have cost around $188,000 (£150,000) in government funds.

Victoria, who has a net worth of $420 million (£335 million), has now had a change of heart, and in a statement on Thursday, announced that the application to the government scheme will now be withdrawn and all employees will be restored to their roles.

“We will not now be drawing on the government furlough scheme,” the 46-year-old told British newspaper The Guardian. “At the beginning of the lockdown, the shareholders agreed with senior management to furlough a small proportion of staff. At that point, we didn’t know how long the lockdown might last or its likely impact on the business.

“The welfare of my team and our business means everything to me.”

A spokesperson for the Victoria Beckham label added that after the company was forced to go into lockdown “overnight” back in March, decisions were made to “try and protect our staff”.

“We’ve now reconsidered and we accept there’s a better way forward for our business. These are tough times and tough decisions and we don’t always get it right – all we can say is we are trying to protect our business and our staff,” they commented.

The fashion brand has seen unprecedented online sales since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, with the Italian factories that produce the Victoria Beckham garments set to reopen on 11 May.

© Cover Media

Mel C learning to master her own make-up

Mel C is learning how to do her own make-up after years of relying on professionals.The former Spice Girl experimented with plenty of bold hair and beauty looks during her days with the ’90s girl group. But in an interview with The Strategist U.K., Mel…

Mel C is learning how to do her own make-up after years of relying on professionals.

The former Spice Girl experimented with plenty of bold hair and beauty looks during her days with the ’90s girl group.

But in an interview with The Strategist U.K., Mel admitted that she is only now getting to grips with cosmetics.

“I consider myself very lucky, because I’ve been getting my make-up done professionally since the age of 21,” she told the publication. “But it meant that suddenly being at home, and still having interviews to do, brought its own challenges. I was on Canadian TV the other day, and I’m doing Skype interviews with people all over the world. So, I’m having to learn to do my own make-up.”

Mel went on to name Sisley’s Instant Eclat Glow Primer as one of her go-to products, as it really helps to even out her skin tone before she applies concealer or foundation.

Yet, the singer does have at least one beauty expert in her house who she can call on for tips and tricks.

“My daughter, who is 11 years old, she’s obsessed with James Charles and Jeffree Star, she knows all about contouring. I feel like I missed out – I was a little raver in the early ’90s. We didn’t really do our hair and make-up. We were just sweaty,” the 46-year-old laughed.

Elsewhere in the chat, Mel shared that she took a lot of ice baths in the lead-up to the Spice Girls’ reunion shows last year, but has since switched to soaks in the tub with a sprinkling of Westlab Epsom Salts.

“They’re full of magnesium, which is really good for your muscles. Your body takes it in, and it can really help with a good night’s sleep,” she added.

© Cover Media

Victoria Beckham finally comfortable with her looks

Victoria Beckham took a “long, long time” to become comfortable with her looks.The 45-year-old has candidly opened up about her journey to self-acceptance in an interview for the February 2020 issue of Harper’s Bazaar magazine, and when asked if she th…

Victoria Beckham took a “long, long time” to become comfortable with her looks.

The 45-year-old has candidly opened up about her journey to self-acceptance in an interview for the February 2020 issue of Harper’s Bazaar magazine, and when asked if she thinks of herself as beautiful, her reply was refreshingly honest.

“No, absolutely not,” she stated. “But I make the best of what I have. I see my imperfections and flaws and I smile: it’s who I am and I’m not going to try to change that. It’s taken me a long, long time to recognise that by 45 years old, actually I’m all right.”

Victoria went on to explain that while she used to “obsess over the silliest of things”, she’s now very comfortable in her own skin.

“I work hard, I look O.K., I’ve got four children that I’m incredibly proud of, a wonderful husband and I feel content,” the designer added, noting her children Brooklyn, 20, Romeo, 17, Cruz, 14, and Harper, eight, and her husband of more than 20 years, David Beckham.

Elsewhere in the interview, Victoria also touched upon her new skincare and make-up line, Victoria Beckham Beauty, and revealed that she has been desperate to create her own beauty brand for years.

“I’ve been obsessed with make-up and skincare and wellness for longer than I can remember,” the former Spice Girl said of the products she has created with her co-founder, beauty executive Sarah Creal. “The other thing that was key was making sure it was very inclusive – whether it’s make-up or skincare, this is for every skin type and tone, and for both women and men.”

© Cover Media