Quentin Tarantino unlikely to direct Star Trek film

Quentin Tarantino has indicated he will not direct a planned new Star Trek film.Back in December 2017, it was revealed that the Oscar winner had pitched an idea to producer J.J. Abrams, and the two began to develop an original storyline for the sci-fi …

Quentin Tarantino has indicated he will not direct a planned new Star Trek film.

Back in December 2017, it was revealed that the Oscar winner had pitched an idea to producer J.J. Abrams, and the two began to develop an original storyline for the sci-fi movie.

Mark L. Smith, who co-wrote epic drama The Revenant, was tasked with penning the Star Trek screenplay while Tarantino made Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, with the filmmaker looking to return to the movie once he had wrapped on the blockbuster.

However, the 56-year-old has now indicated that he will not be involved with the Star Trek film – though still hopes Paramount studio bosses will make it in the future.

“I think they might make that movie, but I just don’t think I’m going to direct it,” he told Deadline. “It’s a good idea. They should definitely do it and I’ll be happy to come in and give them some notes on the first rough cut.”

Tarantino had suggested last year that he would retire after making his 10th movie, which will be his next project.

Back in 2009, Abrams directed the hugely successful Star Trek reboot, featuring Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, and Zoe Saldana, which raked in more than $385 million (£296 million) worldwide.

He also helmed the sequel, Star Trek Into Darkness, four years later, which made more than $467 million (£359 million) globally.

Fast & Furious director Justin Lin was hired for the third instalment, Star Trek Beyond, in 2016, which was the lowest-grossing movie in the series, making $343 million (£263 million).

© Cover Media

Leonardo DiCaprio: ‘I’ll keep acting as long as people want me’

Leonardo DiCaprio plans to keep acting for as long as he continues to be hired for projects. The Oscar winner made his screen debut with TV show The New Lassie when he was only 15 years old, and he has since gone on to work with the likes of acclaimed…

Leonardo DiCaprio plans to keep acting for as long as he continues to be hired for projects.

The Oscar winner made his screen debut with TV show The New Lassie when he was only 15 years old, and he has since gone on to work with the likes of acclaimed directors Martin Scorsese, James Cameron, Christopher Nolan, and Quentin Tarantino.

Although he has taken some lengthy breaks from acting over the years, including between 2015’s The Revenant and his new film, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, DiCaprio has insisted he feels so lucky to be an actor, he wants to keep going as long as he can.

“I suppose at one point I might retire, but I always looked at this as the greatest gift anyone’s ever given to me,” the 44-year-old said to Variety when asked about retirement. “I feel like I won the lotto so I’m going to keep going as long as they’ll have me.”

In his new movie, DiCaprio plays Rick Dalton, a fading Hollywood star in the 1960s who has been reduced to guest spots on television shows and Spaghetti Westerns in Italy.

When asking about the ups and downs of an actor’s career, the Titanic star said, “I know there’s ebbs and flows in everyone’s careers – sometimes they’re a little hotter, sometimes you may not be hot at all – but if you love what you do, you gotta just keep doing it.”

But if he ever ends up in a position like his character, when he’s not such a hot property, the actor insists he will bid his time and “wait around until something good pops up.”

DiCaprio appears alongside Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie in Tarantino’s latest project, which hits U.S. cinemas from Friday.

© Cover Media

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu ‘honoured’ to be first Latin American Cannes Film Festival jury president

Oscar winner Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu is honoured to lead this year’s Cannes Film Festival jury after learning he’s not only the first Mexican president, but the first Latin American. The Birdman and The Revenant director will oversee the competiti…

Oscar winner Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu is honoured to lead this year’s Cannes Film Festival jury after learning he’s not only the first Mexican president, but the first Latin American.

The Birdman and The Revenant director will oversee the competition at the annual film spectacular, which began on Tuesday (14May19), alongside the likes of Elle Fanning and fellow filmmakers Yorgos Lanthimos and Paweł Pawlikowski, and he’s thrilled to be making history.

“I found out… that I’m the first Latin American person (to lead the jury), which is shocking,” he tells Deadline. “The whole zone has been dismissed for 72 years. Ultimately, I feel honoured and it’s a privilege. The honour is even bigger, because of that reason.”

But he admits he is going to struggle to judge his peers’ films over the next 10 days.

“It was not easy for me to accept being the president of the jury,” he explains. “It feels strange to me, to be judging films, and filmmakers I like a lot, and being on the other side of that.

“One of the things that made me realise it was time for me to do it was realising it was 20 years ago, in 2000, when I brought my first film, Amores Perros here. I ended up winning the Critics Week. Then it was Babel, then Biutiful, with Javier Bardem named Best Actor, then Carne Y Arena. My professional life has been in a way very close to Cannes.

“This to me was a way to honour a festival that has been the heartbeat of cinema in the world. And being the first Mexican and just finding out, also the first Latin American, I couldn’t say no. It was an offer I couldn’t refuse for emotional, professional and many other reasons.”

It’s not the first time he had been a jury member at a major festival – he was among the judges at the Venice Film Festival in Italy 11 years.

“Zhang Yimou was the president… and I found myself surrounded with amazing colleagues who formed the jury. To be surrounded here in the same ways, and watch films together for 10 days, sharing our perception, emotion and what hit us, and learning from each other’s sensibilities… I feel like a monkey in a fruit store. It’s fantastic.”

© Cover Media

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu named president of Cannes Film Festival jury

Oscar-winning director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu has been appointed the jury president of the 2019 Cannes Film Festival. The Birdman filmmaker, the first Mexican to be given the prestigious position, will head up the jury, to be comprised of members…

Oscar-winning director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu has been appointed the jury president of the 2019 Cannes Film Festival.

The Birdman filmmaker, the first Mexican to be given the prestigious position, will head up the jury, to be comprised of members of the movie industry, and help decide what film competing in the official selection should win the coveted Palme d’Or.

“Cannes is a festival that has been important to me since the beginning of my career,” Inarritu said in a statement. “I am humbled and thrilled to return this year with the immense honour of presiding over the Jury. Cinema runs through the veins of the planet and this festival has been its heart. We on the jury will have the privilege to witness the new and excellent work of fellow filmmakers from all over the planet. This is a true delight and a responsibility, that we will assume with passion and devotion.”

Pierre Lescure, festival president, and Thierry Fremaux, artistic director, said they are “delighted” that Inarritu, who won back-to-back Best Director Oscars for 2015’s Birdman and 2016’s The Revenant, had accepted their invitation.

“Not only is he a daring filmmaker and a director who is full of surprises, Alejandro is also a man of conviction, an artist of his time,” they said in a joint statement.

The 55-year-old’s relationship with Cannes dates back to 2000, when his debut feature Amores Perros premiered there, and he most recently went back in 2017 as his virtual reality experience Carne y Arena (Flesh and Sand) was selected for the competition.

Inarritu follows in the footsteps of his Babel star Cate Blanchett, who served as president in 2018 and awarded the Palme d’Or to Shoplifters with the help of jury members including Ava DuVernay and Kristen Stewart.

The 72nd Cannes Film Festival runs between 14 and 25 May (19).

© Cover Media