Christian Siriano teams up with J. Jill for inclusive collection

Christian Siriano is teaming with designers at womenswear retailer J. Jill on a series of exclusive capsule collections.The popular designer was headhunted by J. Jill president and chief executive officer Linda Heasley, who was desperate to work with t…

Christian Siriano is teaming with designers at womenswear retailer J. Jill on a series of exclusive capsule collections.

The popular designer was headhunted by J. Jill president and chief executive officer Linda Heasley, who was desperate to work with the advocate of body positivity – and age inclusivity – in the fashion industry.

In the collaboration, J. Jill will increase the variety of sizes available for the first time, and models Candice Huffine, Maye Musk, and Marquita Pring will be ambassadors for the collection.

“J. Jill is a brand that designs for all women and that’s been a part of my ethos as a designer since the very beginning,” Siriano told WWD. “Fashion is something we all should have a piece of. It’s celebrating people and this idea of beauty. And what’s beautiful? For me, it’s all different types of women – shapes, sizes and ages.”

The first capsule collection drops on 12 September and will be available in sizes XS to 4XL as well as petite and tall sizes.

Siriano’s fall collection for J. Jill features classic white shirts, waisted dresses with flared sleeves, a teal tie-waist puffer jacket, and a faux suede skirt. While his holiday line – which will drop in November – will focus on occasion dresses and blouses.

“I’m definitely pushing some colours and shapes and silhouettes that the J. Jill customer hasn’t had before,” the 33-year-old explained. “A lot of it celebrates the silhouette a little more, pushes the idea of celebrating the body while making sure it’s flattering.”

A third capsule collection is set for spring next year.

Siriano has also designed a T-shirt to raise money for the J. Jill Compassion Fund, which donates to community-based organisations across the U.S.

© Cover Media

Michael Kors suing flea market over counterfeit products

Michael Kors has launched legal action against a flea market it claims is making counterfeit replicas of its products.Lawyers for the label, headed by the 60-year-old American designer, filed the lawsuit in a federal court on Tuesday, and allege that T…

Michael Kors has launched legal action against a flea market it claims is making counterfeit replicas of its products.

Lawyers for the label, headed by the 60-year-old American designer, filed the lawsuit in a federal court on Tuesday, and allege that The Boulevard Flea Market in New Haven, Connecticut was a “black market for illegal products”.

They claimed that the market is selling counterfeit products like wallets and handbags featuring the Michael Kors ‘MK’ logo, according to editors at WWD.

Back in 2013, more than 1,100 handbags and wallets had been seized by police in a raid at The Boulevard Flea Market, and an investigation by bosses at the fashion house said they had found fake Michael Kors handbags, perfumes, bags, and shoes at the market.

“While luxury brands spend a significant amount of time policing online flea markets, such as eBay, counterfeiters have had an easier and more profitable time peddling their illicit wares at old-fashioned swap meets or flea markets,” lawyers asserted.

The lawsuit has targeted C.G.C. Enterprises Inc. – owned by Charles Cheslock – which runs the flea market, and landlord Digsby Taylor & Hobbes, owned by Richard Lebov.

Michael Kors’ lawyers claim that they have alerted Cheslock and Lebov “numerous” times in recent years over the sale of counterfeit goods at the market, but have been ignored. They allege that the flea market owner and landlord must ensure vendors selling on their premises abide by the law, and should evict tenants for illegal activities.

© Cover Media

Chanel postpones Hong Kong show amid political protests

Chanel has postponed its Hong Kong show as political unrest in the country continues to rage on.Back in June, huge demonstrations began, with thousands of protesters peacefully taking to the streets to campaign against a controversial extradition bill,…

Chanel has postponed its Hong Kong show as political unrest in the country continues to rage on.

Back in June, huge demonstrations began, with thousands of protesters peacefully taking to the streets to campaign against a controversial extradition bill, which would have allowed criminal suspects to be sent to China for trial.

Protests are still taking place in Hong Kong, which is a special administrative region of the People’s Republic of China, despite the legislation recently being scrapped by the country’s chief executive Carrie Lam.

Now, bosses at the French luxury fashion house have announced that they have decided to scrap a presentation of the 2019 Cruise collection at the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal on 6 November.

In a statement, a spokesperson explained that the event would be held at a later date and a “more appropriate moment”.

While Bruno Pavlovsky, president of fashion at Chanel, told WWD: “It depends on the situation. We’ll have another opportunity.

“We continue to service clients in the boutiques and they are there. Hong Kong is a key market. We have a very strong Hong Kongese customer base.”

The 2019 Cruise collection originally debuted in Paris back in May, and executives at the fashion house hinted earlier this month that the show in Hong Kong might be postponed.

“Like all brands present in Hong Kong, we are keeping a close watch on events, and have not yet made a decision,” a representative said at the time.

Chanel has nine boutiques in Hong Kong, including one at the airport, and three in Macau.

Designers Joseph Altuzarra and Anais Mak recently showcased their resort collections at the Centrestage festival in the country.

© Cover Media

Karl Lagerfeld exhibition to be staged at Metropolitan Museum of Art – report

Curators at the Metropolitan Museum of Art are reportedly planning an exhibition dedicated to the late Karl Lagerfeld.The German couturier, who oversaw Chanel, Fendi, and his own namesake brand, died at the age of 85 in February from complications rela…

Curators at the Metropolitan Museum of Art are reportedly planning an exhibition dedicated to the late Karl Lagerfeld.

The German couturier, who oversaw Chanel, Fendi, and his own namesake brand, died at the age of 85 in February from complications relating to pancreatic cancer.

While the fashion world is still reeling from Lagerfeld’s death, editors at WWD are now reporting that executives at the museum in New York City are working on a showcase in honour of the legendary designer.

Sources have told the publication that Andrew Bolton, curator and current head of The Met’s Costume Institute, will oversee the showcase, and it is set to take place in 2022. Representatives for The Met have declined to report on the speculation.

However, should the exhibition get the green light, curators will have stacks of material to work with, as Lagerfeld not only led fashion houses but also worked as a creative director, artist, caricaturist and photographer.

He was also recognised around the world for his signature uniform, typically comprised of a black suit, black sunglasses, fingerless gloves, and starched white collars.

Lagerfeld unveiled his final Metiers d’Art collection outside of the ancient Egyptian Temple of Dendur, housed within The Met, last December.

However, he was absent from the Chanel couture show held in Paris in January, with a representative for the French house noting he could not attend due to illness. His right-hand woman at Chanel, Virginie Viard, took the final bow in his place, and has since taken over creative direction at the brand.

Lagerfeld did not have a funeral, but bosses from all three brands that he worked for teamed together in June to hold the tribute event, entitled Karl For Ever, at the Grand Palais in Paris.

© Cover Media

Tom Ford gearing up to launch ‘science-based’ skincare line

Tom Ford is close to unveiling his “science-based” luxury skincare range.The 57-year-old served stints as creative director at Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent before launching his eponymous fashion and beauty brand in 2006 and has more recently delved int…

Tom Ford is close to unveiling his “science-based” luxury skincare range.

The 57-year-old served stints as creative director at Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent before launching his eponymous fashion and beauty brand in 2006 and has more recently delved into filmmaking with critically acclaimed movies A Single Man and Nocturnal Animals.

While Tom Ford Beauty currently contains a range of cosmetics and fragrance, Ford has been developing a line of skincare formulas for several years and will begin rolling out the line next month.

“I wanted to start a serious skincare arm and have it be science-based,” he told WWD. “This is a real skincare product and regimen. I’m not a designer who has thrown his name on a beautifully packaged cream.”

To create the products, Ford insisted Estee Lauder bosses allow him to set up his own laboratory.

And he drew inspiration from his own experiences and advice he’s received from dermatologists in the past, especially in relation to the power of caffeine.

“Years ago, a dermatologist told me that the best thing for puffy eyes was moist tea bags. Every time I did it, I noticed that it also moisturised my skin,” the designer shared. “Caffeine became one of the most important things we researched.”

After experimenting with 75 different concoctions, Ford’s first products, the Serum Concentrate and Creme Concentrate, which are infused with caffeine from Japanese green tea, gyokuro, and rare ground white porcelain cacao beans, will be hitting shelves from August, and will be priced at $350 and $450 (£280 – £360). Three more products will debut in spring 2020.

© Cover Media

Olivier Rousteing unveils shoppable Instagram page

Olivier Rousteing wants to make Balmain “more inclusive” by enabling his followers to buy pieces from the fashion house directly on his Instagram feed.The French creative director wanted to take control of the luxury label, and wants fans and customers…

Olivier Rousteing wants to make Balmain “more inclusive” by enabling his followers to buy pieces from the fashion house directly on his Instagram feed.

The French creative director wanted to take control of the luxury label, and wants fans and customers of Balmain to also be able to copy – and buy – into his own image.

“I see it as a way of becoming ever more authentic and inclusive. What I strive to do at Balmain is create a community around the brand,” he told WWD. “Designers were expected to stay in the shadow of their brand, stuck in an ivory tower. Today, social media has completely changed things: The designer can develop his own image, which can then serve the brand’s image. He becomes an asset for the fashion house.”

Rousteing has now partnered with Instagram’s new Shopping From Creators feature, meaning his 5.4 million followers will now be able to buy Balmain pieces directly by clicking on the links tagged in his posts, rather than having to ask the designer where they can buy what he’s wearing.

“I wear a lot of pieces I design for Balmain, but that don’t necessarily make it to production, and every time I post a picture of myself wearing one of these pieces, I get tons of comments by people asking where they could buy what I was wearing. So I wanted to take away the frustration,” the 33-year-old explained.

The pieces – which will be available to purchase immediately – will range from sneakers and tracksuits to the label’s signature embroidered tuxedo jackets and even limited-edition couture pieces.

“For me, Instagram is an honest and sincere marketing tool. It can be a huge push for a brand’s business, but above all, it needs to stay authentic,” he shared.

© Cover Media

Christian Louboutin to showcase huge shoe collection in Paris museum

Christian Louboutin is to showcase his vast shoe collection in a new exhibition in Paris.After funding a partial restoration of the Palais de la Porte Doree, the French designer will take over more than 14,000 square foot of the Art Deco-inspired locat…

Christian Louboutin is to showcase his vast shoe collection in a new exhibition in Paris.

After funding a partial restoration of the Palais de la Porte Doree, the French designer will take over more than 14,000 square foot of the Art Deco-inspired location in February 2020.

“It’s an open window to my brain,” he told WWD of the showcase, which will include more than 200 pairs of shoes alongside an eclectic mix of furnishings and art installations.

“The heel is back in the museum in full force, only it’s not only an exhibition of high heels. We have flat shoes, too,” Louboutin shared, referencing the historical monument’s previous ban on high heels.

One of his earliest shoe designs was a pump in metallic leather inspired by the iridescent fish in the tank at the Palais de la Porte Doree.

“Some of the first influencers were fish,” the fashion star quipped.

Also included in the exhibition are a pair of boots made out of bark that date back to 1987.

Another exhibition, dubbed a treasure room, will run alongside Louboutin’s shoe showcase, and will include a variety of unique objects and artworks collected by the Frenchman.

On show will be shoes that once belonged to Mae West, jewellery by Dior’s Victoire de Castellane, plus artworks by Pierre Molinier and Andy Warhol.

Curator Olivier Gabet wants the exhibition to showcase the iconic shoe designer’s “deep, very original relationship,” with the decorative arts and expects it to be very popular with the French public and tourists.

© Cover Media

Rihanna: ‘I’m the muse of my fashion collection’

Rihanna is her own fashion muse and plans on dropping more pieces from her Fenty collection throughout the year.The 31-year-old recently made history by becoming the first woman to create a brand for LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton, with her new limit…

Rihanna is her own fashion muse and plans on dropping more pieces from her Fenty collection throughout the year.

The 31-year-old recently made history by becoming the first woman to create a brand for LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton, with her new limited-edition line of clothing and accessories debuting in the U.S. on Wednesday at New York store The Webster.

At the launch, Rihanna divulged that the items are greatly inspired by her own wardrobe and confessed she will be dropping further Fenty collections at unspecified times as she doesn’t want her fans to get “bored” while waiting for fresh designs.

“I get bored easily,” the singer told WWD. “I’m the muse of my collection. They want to get excited; they don’t want to know when things are coming out. They don’t want to wait for it to come. They see it, they love it, they want it. You don’t want to tease people.”

She also told reporters at the event that she’s enjoying the experience of working with LVMH executives and wanted to try her hand at designing in order to hone her skills before collaborating with the luxury goods conglomerate.

“It’s incredible. I have a brand-new playground. You get to play in a bigger sandbox and a more serious sandbox,” Rihanna gushed. “It’s still fun, I still get to express myself creatively, but it’s at a whole new level. You respect it in a different way almost. It’s just this incredible opportunity to make a mark while making history at the same time.

“I started small and I started collaborating and I wanted to not only get my feet wet and learn, but also have the credibility as a fashion designer before I stepped up with something on my own.”

The Webster is the first store in the world to sell the Fenty collection.

© Cover Media

Donatella Versace wants more inclusivity in fashion

Donatella Versace is fighting hard for more inclusivity in the fashion industry.The chief designer of the iconic Italian label has told WWD that she finds it “crazy” there is such a focus on sustainability and becoming eco-friendly in the business, rat…

Donatella Versace is fighting hard for more inclusivity in the fashion industry.

The chief designer of the iconic Italian label has told WWD that she finds it “crazy” there is such a focus on sustainability and becoming eco-friendly in the business, rather than closing in on the lack of diversity.

“I have been fighting for inclusivity for so long. Inclusivity is the most important thing,” she fired in the interview. “You cannot be rejected because the colour of your skin is not the same as mine, because your culture is different from mine, because you don’t look like me.”

Donatella is keen to make an impression on the youth of today, so they can change the fashion world in the future.

“It’s really bad, it’s crazy and if there is someone who can do something it’s fashion, because we influence the young people following us, who can make the difference. Inclusivity and diversity have always been important values for us,” the 64-year-old said of the Versace fashion house.

While some labels are focusing on becoming more environmentally friendly and using textiles that are recycled and made in factories without damaging emissions, Donatella believes inclusivity is far more important.

“(A) T-shirt with the wording ‘Let’s save the planet’ is less powerful, even if it’s a positive message, but I think that is less relevant than inclusivity right now. There are companies that produce abroad in countries where children work day and night and then they talk about the environment,” she added, seemingly referencing hypocritical fashion brands.

She also opened up about Versace’s menswear collection for spring 2020, and hoped that it would encourage “courageous” men to embrace their feminine side and experiment.

“Today, boys are more courageous, while men 10 years ago were thinking, ‘I cannot wear this because they might think I’m gay,” Donatella stated.

© Cover Media

Olympic athletes and Paralympians close Emporio Armani show

Twenty Olympic athletes and nine Paralympians closed Emporio Armani’s latest show.The sportsmen and women from the Italian team wore their new uniforms, designed by the Italian label, for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games, which were adorned …

Twenty Olympic athletes and nine Paralympians closed Emporio Armani’s latest show.

The sportsmen and women from the Italian team wore their new uniforms, designed by the Italian label, for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games, which were adorned with Japanese-inspired graphics.

The red rising sun of Japan was transformed with the green-white-and-red of the Italian flag for Giorgio Armani’s fifth Olympic collection.

“It was incredible to see obviously the pride of the Italian nation and of Mr. Armani, who is the real image of Italy, coming out with the athletes. It was incredibly powerful – I got goosebumps,” actor Tom Bateman told WWD after the spectacle on Saturday.

Giovanni Malago, president of the Italian National Olympic Committee, also praised Armani as the designer “who has given the most trust to the world of sports and to the teams that represent our country.”

The 84-year-old has dressed the Italian athletes for the Olympic and Paralympic Games at the London 2012 and Rio 2016 events, and the Sochi 2014 and PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics and Paralympics.

The athletes walked on the runway – which was lit up in the colours of the Italian flag – to the tune of Love Is in the Air.

The Italian fashion house’s menswear collection featured activewear and leisurewear items with unstructured silhouettes and light textiles. Trousers were wide palazzo pants and parachute pants, and the line also included double-breasted jackets alongside elegant suits.

“Men should shine,” Armani said after the show.

© Cover Media